New T suggestions...

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Hey Arachnoboards. I am in the market for a new T, and I would like your guys's advice. My current T is an Avic, and I am also keeping a H. Carolinensis and L. Mactans. Any suggestions for a new T? I would like something with a bit of size. I am thinking a L. Parahybana or A. Genic. I am not familiar with much more species, so any suggestions would be great. Also, where are some good places to buy T's? I currently know of Jamies, KenTheBugGuy, and Swifts. Any others would be great. Thanks guys, and sorry for the long-winded post.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
If you're down to a LP or A. genic I'd definitely go with the genic. They get to a similar size as a LP and they look better IMO

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Arachnoboards. I am in the market for a new T, and I would like your guys's advice. My current T is an Avic, and I am also keeping a H. Carolinensis and L. Mactans. Any suggestions for a new T? I would like something with a bit of size. I am thinking a L. Parahybana or A. Genic. I am not familiar with much more species, so any suggestions would be great. Also, where are some good places to buy T's? I currently know of Jamies, KenTheBugGuy, and Swifts. Any others would be great. Thanks guys, and sorry for the long-winded post.
The other major dealer is Netbugs

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Any other suggestions that arent listed here? I will try to get both the LP and Genic. Anything colorful that has a decent size also?

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also voting for A.Genic. You will not be disappointed!

I also think N.Chromatus is pretty impressive looking? Not going to get quite as big though.

What about A.Versicolor?

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Been looking around. Anyone have any experiance with the following T's: Pseudhapalops sp, Idiothele mira (I know it is an OW, but I really like it), Cyriopagopus sp (Yes another OW, but I REALLY like this one in particular.), and Euthlus sp. I really like all of these T's. Also, any T with really standout colors I really like.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Been looking around. Anyone have any experiance with the following T's: Pseudhapalops sp, Idiothele mira (I know it is an OW, but I really like it), Cyriopagopus sp (Yes another OW, but I REALLY like this one in particular.), and Euthlus sp. I really like all of these T's. Also, any T with really standout colors I really like.
If you feel confident enough to take on a T that's on the nervous/grumpy side of the spectrum, I think a Phormictopus would meet your needs. Phormictopus cancerides is my personal favorite as far as looks go (purple and shiny? Yes please), not to mention they can grow to be about as large as an LP or A.genic.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Okay, here is my list of T's that I think I would be good: A. genic, A. Versicolor, GBB, LP, N. Chromatus, P. Cancerides, E. Cyanognathus, P. Irmana, and Pseudhapalopus sp.. If you think any of these would be bad, please feel free to tell me. Any other suggestions would be awesome also, but I think this is good. Also, NetBugs has a few freebie T's, maybe I can get one of those too. I plan on getting a few new T's very soon though.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would start with P.Pulcher or P.Cambridgei before P.Irminia. Irminia can be a little more defensive, and mine was always a pet hole that never came out. Cambridgei is out more often and pretty to look at.

If you want to do an old world terrestrial, M.Balfouri or C.Darlingi are good starters. Personally I wouldn't rush it and just get A.Genic. They are my all time favorites. I've never heard anyone say "A.Genic is boring". Nothing boring about that T. Amazing feeding response unless it is going to molt and they are always out and about.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Idiothele mira are pet holes so you won't see them most of the time. They're trapdoor tarantulas, so at least their hunting method is interesting.

If you want a similar-looking tarantula that is out more often, try Harpactira pulchripes.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Are versicolors good? GBB seems to be pretty popular too. I think I will get an A. Genic, N. Chromatus, LP, a Versicolor, and whatever freebie NetBugs has. I might get an OW too.

cold blood

Staff member
Any other suggestions that arent listed here? I will try to get both the LP and Genic. Anything colorful that has a decent size also?
http://jrsinverts.com/

The most expensive way to get a collection is buying one at a time. I'd reduce the number of species, and get 3 of each species. This will not only give you a better shot at a female, but you can sell the extras, even MM's are valuable, or you can use them in trade, increasing your collection basically for free.

LP, chomatus and even genics are cheap, get them in bunches, theyre all great species to raise...LP is by far the least attractive, although not without its charm....but its no bigger than a genic despite what you hear.

Last edited:

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
JRSInverts has alot of good T's, and at great prices. Will definantly order from them. I also want to try the other sites too, to get a comparison of all of them. I really like the G. Pulchra that JR has.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are versicolors good? GBB seems to be pretty popular too. I think I will get an A. Genic, N. Chromatus, LP, a Versicolor, and whatever freebie NetBugs has. I might get an OW too.
Versicolors and GBBs are probably the most popular colorful Ts. Both great choices.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah there's a lot of good, reliable dealers, and a handful of bad ones. Buying directly from breeders in the classifieds can get you great deals, and often more and better freebies. Lots of great breeders to buy from as well.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Hey again. Anyone know where to get plastic vials for spiderlings? Somewhere such as Walmart, Target, Hobby Lobby, etc. I would like to get them in person.