New T owner, just checking in.

MaxCSC

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. Max here. I’ve always wanted a T, since I was a little kid, my mom was having none of it, then, music came into my life, and for most of my adult life i was away playing music, plus later on, my now ex wife was having none of it either. But now, with my 40th birthday looming in, I figured, this is the time.

So, I got my self a lovely pink toe tarantula yesterday. She’s beautiful. The kids are absolutely mesmerized, and are very curious interested in it .. Now, I don’t have any big question, just a few observations that probably those of you who are way more familiar and experience can comment on..

since I got it yesterday, I’m pretty sure that it’s normal that it’s not really doing much, she just hides in a corner. She moves and moved a bit, but I’m guessing just like anyone that goes through a big move, she’s adjusting to her new surroundings, and figuring out her new space.. I was told at the shop to feed her today, I did, she, again didn’t do much. Again, might be because she was moved to a new enclosure. I’ll keep an eye out for the cricket, see if it’s still around later/tomorrow. I’ve made a nice space for her, with lots of things to climb on. 2 tree barks, some nice pieces of drift wood too, that I’ve arranged at the top of the bark so she can have extra places to climb and build a nice web and be comfortable. Anyways, here’s a few pictures, feel free to chip in, give me tips, anything that can make it a great experience for her and us, but mostly for her. I’m cool with just watching her do her spidery things. CADF563A-B0B8-4F88-91C9-2BC0AF5E2900.jpeg FCC7D1D6-D9D7-42DC-BB89-56A4DB787F12.jpeg 09A850AA-B0B1-4BF8-A94F-314552E91C15.jpeg 44198F0F-3FD4-4C4F-ABF0-74BC92E14FBD.jpeg BA4D1D6F-D1DB-4090-97DC-52BC2D6916B1.jpeg

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Congrats on your first T! Here we use scientific names, so yours would be Avicularia avicularia or A. avicularia or avic for short (though the last one applies to some other species too)

Your T looks good, only things I would advise changing are
1) avics should be kept on dry substrate with a water dish and plenty of ventilation (but no screen mesh) I can’t tell if the substrate is wet there but if so you should let it dry out.
2) the enclosure is quite large, you should rehouse it into a bit of a smaller enclosure. For an adult avic, most keep theirs in an enclosure about 8x8x12 or 12x12x18, but this is for a full grown T. Smaller ones will need smaller enclosures. This is more for you than them, they tend to settle in quicker, eat more, and grow faster especially with new keepers who might have some initial troubles and worries.

some tips
- a lot of people complain that their avics don’t seem to eat very well. In my experience they tend to just eat less than other Ts and will often go on frequent yet relatively short fasts. Just leave a live crickets in and take it out if it isn’t eaten within a couple days.
- when the T is approaching a molt, you shouldn’t leave any live prey in the enclosure. When I have reason to believe my T’s are in premolt, I only offer prekilled prey.
- and finally, don’t handle. They can fall and die. Not sure if you were planning on it, but just in case.

good luck!

this thread has a pretty good rundown of avic care
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/

MaxCSC

Arachnopeon
Thanks, yeah. I have no intention of handling it, I want to leave her be. Do her thing. And that’s it. Enclosure is 12x12x18. That’s what she was housed in at the pet shop. Substrate is a bit humid, but not much, it’s drying out, according to the thermostat in there, temperature and humidity is right where it should be. And yeah. I just gave her one cricket, and I will keep an eye out for it, I can’t see it right now, but she hasn’t moved, so it’s just hiding, probably, waiting to be eaten. I live in a basement that is pretty dry to begin with, so I think she will be just fine here. I made sure to give her as many things to climb on as possible, but she seems content with being behind the cork right now, just chilling.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
If your enclosure is a 12x12x18 Exo Terra or Zoo Med you should be fine for ventilation. I would as stated before replace the screen lid with acrylic with ventilation holes drilled.in the acrylic. If your enclosure is a Exo Terra it will fit onto that plastic frame nicely.

Pay no attention to the thermometer or hygrometer in the enclosure. Remove them and throw them away they are useless. Throw away the care sheet that told you that you needed a specific temp and humidity range, it's useless as well.
Keep the substrate bone dry with a water dish. Average room temperature will be sufficient.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
12x12x18 is too big for that Avicularia avicularia, not saying throw it away but that’s even on the large side for a adult female. You put in a lot of work, and that’s great but it’s just too big. Something 6x6x8 as an example I’m guessing off of size (not exact) would be better. The pet store was not a good place to base your care and husbandry off of by the way, they likely were working of decades old info and parroting it back out to you unknowingly.

New Care and husbandry- keep substrate dry with a waterdish, do not mist, and no need to measure temp or humidity, and no need supplement either or. Temp in your house if you are comfortable is good for them. Whatever it the relative humidity is naturally is fine. They work off of internal moisture not external anyway. Leave prey in for 24hrs and if uneaten remove. Dont tong feed. Rinse repeat, sit back and enjoy 😊

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
12x12x18 is too big for that Avicularia avicularia, not saying throw it away but that’s even on the large side for a adult female. You put in a lot of work, and that’s great but it’s just too big. Something 6x6x8 as an example I’m guessing off of size (not exact) would be better. The pet store was not a good place to base your care and husbandry off of by the way, they likely were working of decades old info and parroting it back out to you unknowingly.

New Care and husbandry- keep substrate dry with a waterdish, do not mist, and no need to measure temp or humidity, and no need supplement either or. Temp in your house if you are comfortable is good for them. Whatever it the relative humidity is naturally is fine. They work off of internal moisture not external anyway. Leave prey in for 24hrs and if uneaten remove. Dont tong feed. Rinse repeat, sit back and enjoy 😊
I didn't even see a spider in those photos while viewing on my phone.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She’s there. You just have to look closely.
Read my pink link on Avics.

The setup is too large. At that size your T may not find food. Also it’s too sparse in there, need more cage furniture up top.

I love using cork slabs, tubes

Always have a water bowl- and screen tops are a big no no, tarsal claws get stuck, T hangs by a leg