New T in old tank

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
593
Since my smithi died I've decided to get a geniculata to put in this nice 10-gallon tank I already have set up. But my old T left some webbing behind. Should I remove the webs and cover the substrate with a new layer of peat moss, or will my new T not care about the webs?
 

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
93
better if you'd just change the substrate bro.. a lil work but a safer way to go. :)
 

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
1,870
Since my smithi died I've decided to get a geniculata to put in this nice 10-gallon tank I already have set up. But my old T left some webbing behind. Should I remove the webs and cover the substrate with a new layer of peat moss, or will my new T not care about the webs?
I would personally strip out the tank and disinfect everything. I work in a zoo and that protocol if anything dies in an exhibit. May not be necessary, but would make me feel better.

If you are not going the strip out path, just maybe scraping off the top layer of substrate should suffice.
 

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
593
Okay thanks for the tips. I have about 1/4 peat moss left in the bag, so I'll just remove a couple inches from the tank and replace it.
 

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
593
I soaked the plants, shelter, rocks, and water dish in some warm water. Should I put them in the oven to fully disinfect them? If so, how long and how many degrees?
 

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
8,662
Na just add some dawn to that water and scrub them, or better yet some bleach... and when you are done scrubbing rinse and let dry.
 

Cheshire

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
3,160
In the zoo I worked at, we soaked them in bleach and then rinsed them until the smell was completely gone.

I usually wash the container in 90% isopropyl alcohol and then rinse with hot water for 5 minutes.

Substrate is a great way to transmit parasites and scraping off the top layer would not suffice. At the very least, bake the substrate to 400* until there's an aroma.
 

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
1,870
In the zoo I worked at, we soaked them in bleach and then rinsed them until the smell was completely gone.

I usually wash the container in 90% isopropyl alcohol and then rinse with hot water for 5 minutes.

Substrate is a great way to transmit parasites and scraping off the top layer would not suffice. At the very least, bake the substrate to 400* until there's an aroma.
Another good way to make sure the bleach is gone is to either let it dry over night, or fill it back up with water and add about twice as much aquarium dechlorinator. We actually used to get sodium thiosulfate and spray it in in equal portions to the bleach. But yea, bleach or isopropyl alcohol will kill pretty much anything in the tank.
 

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 17, 2006
Messages
1,052
[hi just wash it out with warm water and remove all old substrate and hides e- c- t- and start from new job done and hi to new ( t )phil
 

Cheshire

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
3,160
Another good way to make sure the bleach is gone is to either let it dry over night, or fill it back up with water and add about twice as much aquarium dechlorinator. We actually used to get sodium thiosulfate and spray it in in equal portions to the bleach. But yea, bleach or isopropyl alcohol will kill pretty much anything in the tank.

I prefer alcohol because it vaporizes way faster than water, meaning that if you wipe the enclosure down after you wash it, chances are all the alcohol is gone.
 

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
1,870
[hi just wash it out with warm water and remove all old substrate and hides e- c- t- and start from new job done and hi to new ( t )phil
Since the previous occupant died from unknown reasons, albeit they were probably molt related, its best to sanitize the tank to ensure you are not transmitting any pathogens to the new occupant.
 

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
645
I agree, not only pathogens, but contaminants as well. Just in case your brother was involved. Don't spend your $ on a nice T only to kill it because you were lazy. :embarrassed: Not fair to the spider either. Remember how much you loved the last one...
 

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
593
Course. Better safe than sorry. Thanks everyone; I'll go to Home Depot tonight and buy a new bag of peat moss. Should I put the new peat from the bag in the oven just in case (or is it clean enough straight from the store)?
 

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
1,870
As long as it says it has not been treated it will be fine right out of the bag. I have not had any problems yet.
 

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
492
peat moss

I dont bother sterilizing my peat moss, just use it right out of the bag, havent had any problems with mold, mites or anything. When changing enclosures, from one Ts old home to be used for a new T, I use hot water and give it a good scrub.
 

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
976
you don't know what exactly caused your smithi's death. so the sensible thing to do is to sterilize everything and disinfect the cage before putting in another t. the chance you end up with a second dead ts may be small, but it's not zero. just my two cents.
 
Top