New T Housing Problem

BooyaTarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey I was just wondering if you guys could give me a little advice on my setup for my Nhandu chromatus and Cyclosternum fasciatum. The first set here are my N. Chromatus and as you can see there are droplets on the walls, does that mean it's too humid for the little guy? I have him on a Exo-terra small heat pad along with the C. fasciatum. I'll post the pictures of it's environment next. Anyways, I heard somewhere that if there are droplets on the wall that it is way too much. How often should I mist these guys?

Last edited:

BooyaTarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Allright and here is the C. Fasciatum, as you can see there are droplets on the walls here too. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
droplets on the wall, in and of themselves don't really tell you much. i have had water wholly migrate from the substrate to the walls... the sub was bone dry (light light brown in color coconut stuff) but there was drops on the wall.

both those species i keep medium humid but it looks like you might have them a bit too moist. the indications are that you have pooled water in the bottom of the cages... that is what is making that sort of dark brown/black ring around the bottom of the cage.

ifyou have VERY high ventilation (like a scsreen top cage) and you let that dry out between watering it might be ok, but i would say that is probably overdoing the water a little bit.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, it's probably too humid, but I think I know why...

Do you NEED the heat-mat? Chances are, what's happening is that the heat-mat is driving the water to steam, then it's condensing on the cooler top of the container.

Diagnosis - the soil's too wet. You shouldn't be misting it so much.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What are your room temps like? I see you are in Canada, so it could be colder there, but generally unless your temps are consistently below 65F all the time, there is no need to use a heating pad. And even if you do use one, it should ideally be attached to the side of the set-up or at least only under half of it. The condensation as was said above is likely from the evaporation of moisture from the soil (I know this happens all the time when my snakes). I would recommend trying to get rid of the heating pads if you can (I actually had two overheat on me recently with my non-T critters!) and try to keep your room temps up to 65F or above. Then cut back on the misting. I only mist my slings once a week. They will get most of their water from food anyway.

BooyaTarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You guys are awesome, seriously. That is exactly the information I needed. The last question is, I do keep these critters on only half of the heat pad (so there is a cooler area) but you all recommend that I just shaft it altogether? I had to do the conversion to get Celsius (I am Canadian, they think I'm slow eh...) and I would say it never drops below 65 in here since the house is always warm. Thanks again for the replies, I'm super stoked with these new T's.

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most T's will be fine if it gets a bit cooler. I own both of those and have never used heating with them...and my house used to get down into the mid to upper 60's during the winter.

One of the best things about T's is their ease of care. *In general...not always though...*

~Fred