New T! And some unwelcomed tag-alongs

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I purchased a P. hanumavilasumica sling and the vial it came in has a lot of little translucent slug-like things crawling around. They are tiny and no more than a centimeter long and move just like a slug or caterpillar. I'm wondering what these are and if I should do a rehousing or switch the sub in the vial. These pics don't really capture the little things but you can see my newest addition! "Han Solo"

Thanks,

Trev

Attachments

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I agree. I went ahead and moved it into a small catch cup but the T was really weird about getting out of the vial. It couldn't walk on the walls even though it was trying to I literally had to tip it sideways so I could guide it out. The whole time it was in the cup it kept moving its legs and pedipalps and then I slid it into the new enclosure. Really strange behavior I will be sure to leave it with access to water and a sufficient hide but only time will tell how this guy turns out

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
happened to me a few times before with new pokies. had me worried too for a few days till they molted. all tarantulas lose their grip over time, once they molt, their grip comes back.
I haven't noticed that before but I can see how that would make sense. I'll be sure to post an update on this thread for ya if it molts soon. Thanks Venom

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Probably. Innards literally begin to disconnect from the old exo leaving them a bit wonky as they operate the new suit inside the old one.

I purchased a P. hanumavilasumica sling and the vial it came in has a lot of little translucent slug-like things crawling around. They are tiny and no more than a centimeter long and move just like a slug or caterpillar. I'm wondering what these are and if I should do a rehousing or switch the sub in the vial. These pics don't really capture the little things but you can see my newest addition! "Han Solo"

Thanks,

Trev
The little wrigglers look like fly larvae to me.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Seeing that you've already rehoused..... no larvae problem. :)

Congratulations on the new pokie!

Saw your thread on "which pokie to buy", I would have voted for "smithi". But any pokie is a good pokie.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Seeing that you've already rehoused..... no larvae problem. :)

Congratulations on the new pokie!

Saw your thread on "which pokie to buy", I would have voted for "smithi". But any pokie is a good pokie.
I honestly would have picked the smithi but it was sold immediately after I found out it was available:/

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I'd be a happy camper if it molted at the same time as my P ornata sling which is the same size currently. It will be interesting to compare their growth rates. And I'm expecting a molt from my 3" P. sp machala any day now :happy:

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
Yeah those things looked like fly larvae. Good thing the T is in a better home now.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Just a quick update. P. hanumavilasumica just accepted its first meal after two refusals since I brought it home. I was hoping it would show more signs of premolt by now but this is still good. There's no webbing yet and very little substrate has been rearranged since the rehousing.

Sana

Arachnoprince
That seems sort of odd to me. I just got some little pokies and they all had webbing within a week after unpacking into new enclosures.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
That seems sort of odd to me. I just got some little pokies and they all had webbing within a week after unpacking into new enclosures.
I find it odd as well. Every poec that I raised from a sling has behaved differently but my T-intuition says it's just being an oddball. It does have a semi burrow under its cork piece, there's just no visible webbing to cover itself. I'm just happy it's eating now and showing positive signs