New spiders. Need help in choosing.

draiko

Arachnosquire
EDIT: Got the H gigas. Rehoused into a bigger delicup and it immediately took half a mealworm.

Hi guys, I found this new LPS nearby that has a nice variety of spiders and looks after them really well. Obviously im going to be supporting then rather.

I want to go today and maybe get one or two Im just not too sure about the humidity requirements. I would prefer one of the arboreal species because I dont have one yet. Do I have a death wish here?

The species are:
H. gigas
C. Fambriatus
H. Lividum
C. Hati hati
C. Shioedtei
C. Huahini

I know the gigas is a terrestrial its just another OW they have. All of these are under 5cm and the most expesnive ones are $30.
How difficult is it to work with the humidity? Is there an easy way?

Thank you

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hi guys, I found this new LPS nearby that has a nice variety of spuders and looks after them really well. Obviously im going to be supporting then rather.

I want to go today and maybe get one or two Im just not too sure about the humidity requirements. I would prefer one of the arboreal species because I dont have one yet. Do I have a death wish here?

The species are:
H. gigas
C. Fambriatus
H. Lividum
C. Hati hati
C. Shioedtei
C. Huahini

I know the gigas is a terrestrial its just another OW they have. All of these are under 5cm and the most expesnive ones are $30.
How difficult is it to work with the humidity? Is there an easy way?

Thank you
There are tons of info about these beasts. Put the name of the T into the search here and let 'er rip!

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'd get the H. gigas since you haven't had much experience with OWs. Keep them with very wet substrate (not swampy). They like it Theraphosa wet. They're also obligate borrowers. Get at 6" of substrate in there, preferable over 12" once an adult considering their size. Other than that they're pretty hardy IME.

cold blood

Staff member
Its not humidity you should even be thinking about, its just a matter of keeping the substrate, or part of the substrate, damp.

NEVER chase humidity numbers...simplify!

draiko

Arachnosquire
Its not humidity you should even be thinking about, its just a matter of keeping the substrate, or part of the substrate, damp.

NEVER chase humidity numbers...simplify!
i know. so would i just spray a corner until it dries?

cold blood

Staff member
I'd get the H. gigas since you haven't had much experience with OWs. Keep them with very wet substrate (not swampy). They like it Theraphosa wet. They're also obligate borrowers. Get at 6" of substrate in there, preferable over 12" once an adult considering their size. Other than that they're pretty hardy IME.
H. gigas are great, and I also would suggest them...but wet?? No, that's not required and IMO is just asking for problems eventually. I keep the top half dry and keep the bottom part by the burrows slightly damp. Keep a nice size water dish and feed liberally...they like to eat and grow fast.

cold blood

Staff member
i know. so would i just spray a corner until it dries?
Spraying does little, sprinkle or even pour water onto the sides and let it get deeper into the sub so it will last longer and be damp where it needs to be.

Schieodtei is IMO the coolest of the species listed, but its also very difficult to get a female...the first 11 I raised were all male....but the MMs do look pretty cool IMO.

Attachments

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
I would love an Haplopelma lividum, but haven't devised/appropriated a clever enough apparatus for obligate burrowers. & from what I understand they're livid little monsters, not quite an adequate handler for that business.

Most of these are terrestrials, most of them opportunistic or obligate burrowers, the Cyriophagus spp. are the "arboreals" but probably better characterized as semi-arboreal in my mind. Require substrate to dig in (particularly slings) & a bit of height but floor space is equally important, unlike true (strict?) arboreals (e.g. Avicularia spp.) that require zero substrate, little horizontal space & are fine with just a water dish on the floor.

That said, slightly moist substrate & cross-ventilation seem to be the recipe for success. This is all theoretical, I've only read about them, I haven't kept them. Perhaps someone who actually keep these critters can chime in.

Edit: whoa! Walked away before finishing & this thread exploded with people who have actual experience.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
H. gigas are great, and I also would suggest them...but wet?? No, that's not required and IMO is just asking for problems eventually. I keep the top half dry and keep the bottom part by the burrows slightly damp. Keep a nice size water dish and feed liberally...they like to eat and grow fast.
I've kept all of my Ephebopus and Hysterocrates spp. like that and they're all going fine. As I said above, it's not swampy, just very moist (I'll switch it with wet since maybe there are more connotations with it?).

boina

Lady of the mites
Schieodtei is IMO the coolest of the species listed, but its also very difficult to get a female...the first 11 I raised were all male....but the MMs do look pretty cool IMO.
I've heard that before about them being nearly all male!! Is that true, do they produce more males than femals? 'Cos I recently got 3 slings and of course I'm hoping for at least one female among them...

Sorry for budding in and hijacking this thread with a question...

cold blood

Staff member
I've heard that before about them being nearly all male!! Is that true, do they produce more males than femals? 'Cos I recently got 3 slings and of course I'm hoping for at least one female among them...

Sorry for budding in and hijacking this thread with a question...
Yeah, NostraDennis sees 3 males in your future.