new spiders arrived today!

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
just opened a package a friend sent in it were a florida huntsman spider and a wolf spider, the huntsman is huge! it has like a 4" legspan i'm not exateraing either! the thing looks totaly menacing, its a light brown color overall, i have it in a tall container with bark for it to climb on its chilling right now eating a fat cricket!, the wolf spider looks different from wolf spiders i've seen, it has around a 3" legspan and is jet black! the legs appear to have a light red tinge when in direct light, it also lookspretty intimidating, well the guy who sent them said the wolf had or was making an eggsac but i see none or in the container its in so??? who knows???, anyways do any of you guys know perhaps what species these may be? i know i don't have a pic, but i described them and there from Florida, thanks for any help, i really hope that at leat 1 of them is pregnant and fertile--Jeff

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Weapon-X
just opened a package a friend sent in it were a florida huntsman spider and a wolf spider, the huntsman is huge! it has like a 4" legspan i'm not exateraing either! the thing looks totaly menacing, its a light brown color overall, i have it in a tall container with bark for it to climb on its chilling right now eating a fat cricket!, the wolf spider looks different from wolf spiders i've seen, it has around a 3" legspan and is jet black! the legs appear to have a light red tinge when in direct light, it also lookspretty intimidating, well the guy who sent them said the wolf had or was making an eggsac but i see none or in the container its in so??? who knows???, anyways do any of you guys know perhaps what species these may be? i know i don't have a pic, but i described them and there from Florida, thanks for any help, i really hope that at leat 1 of them is pregnant and fertile--Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Florida huntsman is Heteropoda venetoria, and yes, they do get big! Wolf spider sounds like a florida dark wolf spider, Sossipus floridanus. Try a google search on those Latin names and see if these are the same.

Take care,

Paul

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Weapon-X
well the guy who sent them said the wolf had or was making an eggsac but i see none or in the container its in so??? who knows???,
Most likley it ate the sac. IME, wolfs will eat the sac at the slightest disturbance.

Wade