New sling not moving quite much.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, my Avicularia Juruensis sling finally arrived, quite tiny at approx. 1/2". When unpacking, the rehouse went fine - though the spider was a bit sluggish with it not moving a whole lot unless prodded. It ran into its enclosure right under a cork bark slab, hiding amongst the moss on the ground (probably a bit too large, though it'll grow into the 32oz hopefully.) Should I be concerned that it hasn't moved from this exact spot since? I have two other T's, I'm aware that sitting still is definitely a spider thing to do, though the lack of any activity with this specimen is concerning. I imagine it just needs to warm up and acclimate, though I'm still a tad worried. It's been about an hour now since I have put it into its new home. My GBB when rehoused was a speed demon, pacing around the enclosure laying web while in contrast this one is just sittin there.

Attachments

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
How long has it been? Avic's aren't usually ones to stay on the ground but if it was yesterday or something I wouldn't worry yet as it takes time for any spider to acclimate to its new enclosure

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
How long has it been? Avic's aren't usually ones to stay on the ground but if it was yesterday or something I wouldn't worry yet as it takes time for any spider to acclimate to its new enclosure
The only reason I really realize the stupidity of my question is that it was put in about an hour ago now. Hasn't moved at all since running in. I think I just need to exercise my spider patience, lol. The spider looked healthy when I took it out, so I'm not too worried. Might just need to acclimate as you said.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I do not think it’s concerning since it has only been an hour. (Settling in takes much longer than an hour).

Though the enclosure like you said does look at tad big. Can you post a picture of the whole enclosure? Does it have places to hide up high?

Aren't Avics (and most aboreals) typically more nocturnal/light responsive anyways? Might just be since it's so early in the day too.
Mine I don’t really consider that photo sensitive at all and see active during the day, definitely not like a Psalmopoeus. But in general, if I remember correctly, most T’s are regarded as crepuscular, so yeah you could place in in a darker room to see if it explores any.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
I do not think it’s concerning since it has only been an hour. (Settling in takes much longer than an hour).

Though the enclosure like you said does look at tad big. Can you post a picture of the whole enclosure? Does it have places to hide up high?

Mine I don’t really consider that photo sensitive at all and see active during the day, definitely not like a Psalmopoeus. But in general, if I remember correctly, most T’s are regarded as crepuscular, so yeah you could place in in a darker room to see if it explores any.
Yeah, here's some photos from before introduction to the enclosure. There's a leaf covering the stop of the cork bark, so there's substantial hiding room for it to utilize in addition to the underbelly of the hide - though its not using it at all and remains at the bottom.

Attachments

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
yeah, I imagine it is just in shock from travel and new digs. It appears to have retreated to a safe space and is properly just getting its bearings. I am guessing in a while, as it feels more comfortable it will start to explore

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Totally normal. Have patience. Just leave it be and it will settle in when it's comfortable. Don't disturb it too much.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, quick update. It's out and about now .... though the ventilation holes on the lid are a tad too big and could pose an escape risk. I might have to rehouse to a 5oz cup or plug these holes, any ideas?

I was thinking repurposing and putting vent holes in the vial it came in, though opening that thing is a pain. Otherwise, one of the mealworm 5oz deli containers - though each lid has vent holes that seem way too large. I'm at a loss at the moment and am not too sure how to proceed.

cold blood

Staff member
Hey @Seemannnni ...where ya been?

Avics will do just fine in a 32, so size is fine....i would add more elevated cover to the top of the wood...otherwise a pretty classic set up.

As for the lid, do you have an extra you can just swap out? if not, you can just cover the holes with a thin plastic (or even a card, like a baseball card) and tape them into place....dont just tape though, you dont want the adhesive exposed to the t obviously.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Hey @Seemannnni ...where ya been?

Avics will do just fine in a 32, so size is fine....i would add more elevated cover to the top of the wood...otherwise a pretty classic set up.

As for the lid, do you have an extra you can just swap out? if not, you can just cover the holes with a thin plastic (or even a card, like a baseball card) and tape them into place....dont just tape though, you dont want the adhesive exposed to the t obviously.
Okay - I think I might try a little arts and crafts and cut out plastic out of ziploc. I'll tape it to the sides of the lid, at least that seems like it may be practical.. We shall see! Thanks for cleaning the thread up a bit with combining those two last comments, not sure why I felt lazy enough to not just edit it myself lol. I don't know though to be honest, I think resizing a little bit smaller would be optimal given how tiny this thing is in comparison. Photos don't do the little guy justice, he literally looks like 2nd instar in person lmao

UPDATE: Decided to scrap the 32oz as a whole and do the DIY sling enclosure Tom Moran does. Going to get 5.5oz deli cups now. It's running circles around the enclosure now too, lol.

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Give it a few days before rehousing, or better yet, just reduce the size of the existing holes, as @cold blood suggested. The more you move them, the more they can stress, so if you can just reduce the hole size it should do it

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Give it a few days before rehousing, or better yet, just reduce the size of the existing holes, as @cold blood suggested. The more you move them, the more they can stress, so if you can just reduce the hole size it should do it
How would I go on to do such? These holes are large enough that when I'm sleeping it could certainly fit itself through. They're not easily accessible either, so trying to alter them is a pain and a half. I think finalizing the enclosure now and letting it be for a few days is probably the better option, but your experience is probably a better guide. Beats me...

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
just get some heavy card stock and tape pieces to cut the holes in half (on the outside) If the holes are aligned you could use a strip. I just checked your picture and you have holes kind of all over the place. Yeah, knowing that now you might wanna just start over.

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
just get some heavy card stock and tape pieces to cut the holes in half (on the outside) If the holes are aligned you could use a strip. I just checked your picture and you have holes kind of all over the place. Yeah, knowing that now you might wanna just start over.
Sucks too, b/c now it's webbing all over the leaves and making itself its cocoon. Has to be done tho :/

Last edited:

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
your holes look pretty small, you sure it can get through?
It's the lid that's the issue. Let me get a photo for you. The carapace of the T is small enough that I'm fairly sure it could get through, plus this enclosure is honestly too big right now. I presume its a 2nd instar sling, about 1/2".

Attachments

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
It's the lid that's the issue. Let me get a photo for you. The carapace of the T is small enough that I'm fairly sure it could get through, plus this enclosure is honestly too big right now. I presume its a 2nd instar sling, about 1/2".
Do you have a hole punch? Just cut some card stock, (like old business cards) or punch them if you have a hole punch, and then tape them over those holes.