new scorp, enclosure, substrate...

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
does anyone want to reply, cus i could use the answers to these questions... i mean, come on, its kinda bad when the last 5 posts in this thread are all mine over the course of 5 days.... :?

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
try making an account at Photobucket, or if you want to email the pic to someone I'm sure they can put it up.

Can't really think of anything else. I've had some problems with attaching images before too.

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, the pic is now up on myspace for all the world to see... i think that'll suffice... :rolleyes:

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so how old is my scorp? click the link in post 20 of this thread to see the pic. thanks guys.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
If it truly is third instar it could be only a few months old or over a year old...or not...

Scorpions grow/molt depending on how good/bad their living conditions are. I have had some Centruroides from the same batch mature in 6 months and others take over a year...different species are ...different...Slow maturing species such as Hadrurus can take several years to mature...the rate depends on how much food is available.

Unless you know exactly when it was born it is pretty difficult to guess how old it is...especially for a slow growing species.

John
];')

final-sting

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hav 3 hadrurus spadix they bourne on 3.2005. When i become this guys its the color more brown. Now after a moult, they have here black color. (what instar chance the spadix the color from brown to black?)

now black:

bevor brown:

i feed it much, but only thrifty water.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Some species have darker coloration when freshly molted that lightens up as their exoskeleton hardens and ages...other species get darker as they approach a molt.

Hadrurus arizonensis and spadix will usuallg start out nice an dark when freshly molted and lighten some as they harden and age.

John
];')

juggernaut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
another point of view i did not see

Nothing wrong with using calci-sand. The fact that it binds together so well when wet is the reason that it is great to use mixed with finer sand for a stable burrowing environment.

Last edited:

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Asher-

I can't say with certainty how old your specimen is but it looks like it has some growing to do.
All of my H. arizonensis (3) are between 67-72 mm in total length and my fems H. spadix (2) are 60 and 64 mm TL. My single male H. spadix is 63 mm TL.

As for substrate - for H. arizonensis, I just use a 3" (7.5 cm) layer of dry sand and various rocks to provide retreats. Nothing elaborate I assure you and my arizonensis don't seem to mind living in simple scrapes.

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Final-Sting-

Some nice looking spadix there! And, they sure look like they're eating good! LOL

Luc

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
would a "playsand"/peat 70/30 mix work for a suitable substrate for a spadix? im looking at getting one over xmas break. if not what do the rest of you guys use for a "desert" tank?

andrew

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Andrew-

For my H. spadix (wc - Nevada), I use a mixture of peat and sand (70/30), with numerous pieces of grey slate and clay plant pot fragments atop the substrate to provide "hides" for the scorpions. Not the most elaborate set-up but it seems to work!

Luc