New rat snakes... whatcha think?

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just pick this pair up two days ago. They are male (dark) and female (amel). I have no real history on them, I do not know about age, and the female may be gravid.
They have been kept together, so I am going to do the same for now to minimize stress, and then I will separate them. They are a bit freaked out, and think that I am food (they go on hight food response every time I get near/manipulate them - which is minimal right now due to trying to limit stress). The female has shown intent to try for a hand, and the male goes for it relentlessly (if I were slower or less experiences, I would be dunking a snake right now post photo shoot). I really REALLY like them, though! I love their "energy".
I am sure that they are regular run of the mill rat snakes, and I am under no hope that I have something fancy, rare, etc (so do not misread my intentions), I just want to know what it is that I have. Can anyone give me the scientific name/link to more info/etc for the "type/s" that I have?
I am still working on names...
They seem healthy. I am listening hard and watching carefully, though, with the male. He sneezed twice the first night. I have not seen or heard anything since, but I am on alert.

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To me, it looks like an Emory's rat snake, and maybe an albino Emory's, but I’m not sure. (Rat snakes are not a favorite of mine.) Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The male is definitely not a Black Rat...looks like either an Anerytheristic Corn Snake or a White Oak phase Grey Rat to me.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You seem to be getting alot of pets really frast can you handle it all? I am not asking to be rude I am just curious, a single iguana would be too much for me.

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not everything that I post are new... These two are, though. They are doing well, as well. We have them separated now, and I have a laybox in with the female just in case.

We both work from home and homeschool our child. We host a homeschool group here twice a week where the animals are the hightlight (and responsible pet ownership a focus). We belong to a local herp club, too. Our home is an animal house, for sure, but everyone has a proper setup, ample (and correct) food items and feeding schedule, clean environment, no cross contaminations, etc. Generally money for vetting is not a concern, and we also seem to be fortunate that our animals generally need little vetting (spare checkups, parasite treatments when needed, etc) likely because we do try to keep the husbandry correct and stress minimal.

Some of the animals we have are more like long term pet care (the beardies and the KSBs, specifically) for a friend that does not have an optimal setup space or time right now, but did before and hopes to again. Many of our pets are not attention (hands on, that is) seeking (our inverts, obviously, our geckos, our iguana to a certain degree, our fish, and a few of our snakes) so aside from keeping habitats correct and clean and feeding continual and correct, there is little more that they need from us (no time spend cuddling or heartbreak of the lack of it, in other words). Being both stay at home people, we get the rare joy of being able to spend time directly with the animals that enjoy focused attention, and the zen garden effect of caring for those that need their husbandry met and the attention they want stops at the other end of the glass.

We are also fortunate to have a pretty big house (not huge, but I say this to illustrate that we do not have everyone crammed in a room in an apartment, etc).

I just went a full week with the flu (like, can hardly get out of bed flu). Even then, I was not feeling stress over the amount or the need of the animals with us. Maybe one more animal would have tipped the scale, so to say, but it was still okay even with me (and my husband, and my son) less than prime.

These two rat snakes have given me quite the run... It took me a long time to get them separated and to do tank maint, because the male was out for blood I tell ya! Once I got him out of the cage, he relented on his constant striking, and allowed me to handle him. Now he has settled down a bit with a secure hide and the female in a different cage.

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK its seems you have it made! Well keep up the excellent work, it seems you know what your doing. :D