New Product at Petco

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, the place associated with infamy and pure evil.

But has anyone seen those new kits that include the tank.

One is designed for amphibians comes with terrarium, locking screentop, bag of cypress mulch, furniture/decorations, waterdish, clamp-on heating lamp, bulb, misting bottle, thermometer/humidity reader, dishes, etc.

And a larger one designed for desert reptiles, comes with terrarium, locking screentop, 10 lbs of desert sand, furniture/decorations, clamp-on heating lamp, bulb, thermometer/humidity reader, dishes, etc.

They're all boxed-up. Very nice, at my local store they were shelved in the actually reptile room. I think Kritterz is the brand but not sure.

With the amphibian habitat kit which was running for like $50-60, would be perfect for a tarantula or centipede.

And the reptile habitat kit which IIRC would be perfect for a breeding tank or one spectacular display for that special arachnid.

Another convenience I love about these habitat kits, is all you need is another clamp-on heating lamp, to provide both day and evening heat source by rotating them around, more substrate (i.e. add coconut fiber with the cypress mulch), and more furniture.

And the screentops are really nice with these adjustable folding mounts for the heating lamps on each end, so someone can fix the angle of the concentration of heat source.

Thoughts?

And if I did invest in these habitats, what should I put in the 10-15 gallon forest amphibian terrarium?

And what should I put in the 20-25 gallon desert reptile terrarium?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
*bump*

If anyone happens by their local petstore (or Petco), check out these rigged out terrariums. They had the amphibian set out of the box on the shelf. I love the screentop features but couldn't figure out how to open it for fear of breaking something.

Talk about instant convenience though and it can easily be converted to a desert set with the additional purchase of sand and maybe a different bulb. Like being served the cake before the batter.

Or a forest tank for Babycurus, Tityus, or Centruroides.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think it costs a lot for a tank, you could even buy 2 or more emps for that price, and if you have a large collection, i think you'll switch to canisters and deli cups. :p

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And it remains unproven and in the States, Petco is nefarious for it's ineptitude and too cheap to hire knowledgable qualified certifiable persons (a la every employee is a flippn moron whose every unasked for suggestion and remark bears very little soundness).

And the stores are general dumps.

Sorry for the rant but aside from these strikes that habitat stole my focus and a bunch of little scorps, pedes, and Ts danced before my eyes.

pokermon919

Arachnopeon
what size tank is teh smaller kit? I think you'd be better off building your own. Those clamp on light sockets are a little over $5 at home depot.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
4.97 to be exact, just picked up my third one last night :) and to add, I remember someone saying they use thoe red party bulbs from home depot also, from comparision, they don't produce that much heat, but they work a little, they are only like 25W that's why... but for 2$ i wanted to see if that guy was on to something... i know a website that has heat bulbs for under 3$ if anyone wants the link ill dig it up

Ed

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Plus if your looking for a budget setup, I opened the want ad's got a 10gallon tank for a couple bucks, went to home depot, play sand was 12lb's for a little more than 3.50, two bricks were .89 a piece and the clamping heat lamp was 4.97 so I spent under 15$ :) All pet stores jack the prices up, I only go ther efor dog food. :)

pokermon919

Arachnopeon
nice EAD, see just put it together yourself. you'll save money and actually learn a little more by putting it together yourself

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice EAD, see just put it together yourself. you'll save money and actually learn a little more by putting it together yourself
Oh and we left out the best part, decorations, lol. I bought 3 small clay pots of differnt sizes all under 1$ a piece, as well as the two bricks I bought a the piece of slate I stole from my dads old angel fish setup, they need slate to to breed to! :) So final cost may have been like 16, still far better than the pet store, and for a screen top all you need is a 10$ mitre box, a tape measure and will power. I'm sure pet store stuff is nice but I am POOR!

Ed

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the helpful advice.

25 watt red bulbs work good? The house I currently live in is older and thus poor insulation. I would love to make huge savings, that means more bugs at a greater rate. I constantly monitor my A bicolor, making sure the heat is proper through overnight chilly lows and also not too hot -- i.e. size ratios.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think the 25 watt compares at all to the (I think my heat bulb is 40 watt, could be 60) goto this website I found though, great deals on mat's, bulbs and accessories.

http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php?cPath=30_73

You maybe interested in the ceramic bulbs which start at like 15 which is huge savings.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And it remains unproven and in the States, Petco is nefarious for it's ineptitude and too cheap to hire knowledgable qualified certifiable persons (a la every employee is a flippn moron whose every unasked for suggestion and remark bears very little soundness).

And the stores are general dumps.

Sorry for the rant but aside from these strikes that habitat stole my focus and a bunch of little scorps, pedes, and Ts danced before my eyes.
Watch your mouth. I work at Petco {D. But alas, I do have to agree that half the employees are a bit ignorant and unwilling to learn.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Watch your mouth. I work at Petco {D. But alas, I do have to agree that half the employees are a bit ignorant and unwilling to learn.
Petco is good to find things mislabelled for cheaper. I've seen a few posts on here in the T section and I got scorps that weren't what they thought they were. I get confused there whichs keeps me away... often times you see the same things in differnt places with different prices, I don't get it.