new pokies

teamster6

Arachnopeon
Well I wasnt really ready for these but could not resist. The metallica was dirt cheap and the ornata was almost free.

The ornata is a pain to feed in the small vial he is the smallest. If you crack the lid to slip a cricket in the vial he darts out lighting speed and tries his best to get out and he does not stop. He just about wont let you in with a pair of tweezers any wider and he would be on the fly

The metallica seems pretty docile and if you gently tap the top it goes to the bottom of the jar no problem.

I know they should be kept in smaller containers but putting one in a bigger jar I think safety wise would be better than risking a ascape from the small jar. do you think these jars are too big? my assessment is the metallica is big enough for the larger jar but I think the ornata is too small. It is about half the size of the Metallica and the Metallica is oh about 2 inches. I guess I am kind of skidish about doing this but to tell you the truth these guys are a differant ball game compared to my docile t's.

My Idea was with the larger jars I could release them by just setting the jars inside the larger ones pop the lids and let them come out on there own. I am betting that ornata would love to do a 360 on a jar and run all over you

Teamster6

Attachments

Last edited:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My little P. regalis was the same way to start out with. Always right up at the top when you lifted the lid at all. He got better with time, a gentle tap and he'd move down the side. Now he's no problem at all, and he's in a bigger home.

Try a large, clear plastic bag. Set the jar down in it. That way if he gets out you still have some containment method. But also, try working with him so that you don't open the jar unless he moves down. I'm not saying you can condition him to it, but it's worth a try. It seems to have worked with several of my slings.

Marga

teamster6

Arachnopeon
thanks marga I dont think I will have any trouble with the Metallica. That Ornata is a arnry bugger. You can try to get him to move down But hes got a knack for holding on tight and not moveing. Ha Ha quite the experience with these guys

Teamster6

razor244

Arachnopeon
both T's were going to get the large containters like the one with the orange dish ? id think if you wanted more space to work with it would be resonable to put the metallica in the orange dish enclosure, and then put the ornata in the Metallicas old enclosure.

teamster6

Arachnopeon
Thats a good idea Razor but I was hopeing to house them in the larger containers so they would be fine for quite a while but the larger Metallica bottle would give me more room. Maybe the ornata wont go to the top in the larger container.

Teamster6

razor244

Arachnopeon
i figure as long as you see her getting her food there is really no problem if thats what you want . i know going from slower Slings to getting my pokie sling was a big differnece but after a couple months and some transfers... pokie speed seems a bit more normal then it did at first and everything else just seems a bit slower.