New Pinktoe / A. avicularia... Please help!

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just an idea

Regarding the divider in the tank--I have a 10 gallon with 2 dividers in it, and I hot-glued a strip of plexiglass (4" x width of tank) across the top of each divider, like a semi-ceiling. The extra ceiling strip makes it even less likely that a tarantula will travel from one section of the tank to another, and it gives arboreals a sheltered area at the top of the tank to build a web.

I'd attach a picture, but I don't have a digital camera; hope my description made sense.

DavidB

Arachnopeon
Re: Just an idea

Originally posted by Joanie
Regarding the divider in the tank--I have a 10 gallon with 2 dividers in it, and I hot-glued a strip of plexiglass (4" x width of tank) across the top of each divider, like a semi-ceiling. The extra ceiling strip makes it even less likely that a tarantula will travel from one section of the tank to another, and it gives arboreals a sheltered area at the top of the tank to build a web.
Joanie,
Thanks for the idea. I might try your method on my next divider. My current divider fits perfectly flush with lid (and the 3 other surfaces too). So I don't think the tarantual will be able to squeeze over to the other section.
David

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joanie, I know exactly what your saying I do the same thing with dividers.
Not all that neatly mind you.
I use " scrap" pieces and lop it to size but theyb do the trick and help Tons with aboreals.
I've noticed that they give you an extra second our two to keep the speedy buggy from escaping during a mad dash for the top.

I'll take a picture and post it later maybe.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, snapped a quick pic while moving tank to put background back on.

But to the left you can see the cross lip of the divider.
The right side is the closed side containing our orange demoness.
The lids close flush on top of the "sill".

Hope this helps...

Attachments

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by DavidB
I brought home an A. avicularia today. It's my second T. My first was a Rose hair that I bought on friday, so I'm still very new to tarantulas. The Pinktoe is about 2 -2/12 inches. Would you please let me know if I'm doing everything correctly:

1. I have a home-made Plexiglas divider in a 10 gallon tank. I have one spider on each side. I put some upright cork bark, a stick, water dish, and peat moss/jungle beading substrate in the Pinktoe's side of the cage. I also moistened the substrate to add humidity. Is this all okay so far? Is there anything else I might want to add to the tank?

2. Eventually the Pinktoe will decorate the upper portion of the tank with webs, right? How do I remove the tank lid without disturbing the webs? Or is it okay to disturb them?

3. I plan on a feeding schedule of 6 crickets, once a week. Okay?

4. It is very fast and has already escaped once up my wall. How do you keep it from escaping?

5. At one point it was in what I believe was a "death pose" -- feet underneath and wrapped in a ball. Does this mean the spider will die soon? Or could it be that it was just scared? It seems fine now.

6. What other advice would you give me in caring for the pinktoe?

Thanks very much for your help.

David
Wow! I have a G. rosea and an A. avicularia too. ^_^ Plus I have 4 slings on the way from Swift Invertebrates, plus a mystery surprise freebie. Your pinktoe is much bolder than mine. She escaped on me this morning as I was putting fresh water in her dish and misting her tank. But with a gentle nudge she scooted right back into her enclosure.