New Pet; Please ID...Pretty, too!

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is a cool spider someone caught for me in Texas. Anyone have an idea about species or sex? Alex...I know you're out there. :D

Thanks for any and all help.
Here are some pics.
(Check out the abdominal pattern!)

EDIT: It has about a 1 1/2" leg span, fully stretched.

-LT

Attachments

Last edited:

happymeal

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I think it is Larinioides Sp. Maybe Larinioides sclopetarius :? :? :?

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I looked at pictures of that species on the net, and I found many different looking spiders under that same scientfic name. One specimen did look remarkably similar, but it's abdomen was larger and had a different pattern. The larger abdomen could be a sign of a full meal, as where mine have not eaten in a while, but it does not account for the different markings. Anyone else have ideas to pinpoint it? Or do you all think it is a Larinioides sclopetarius too? I am still lost. Thanks for the quick reply happymeal. Greatly appriciated. I think you may be right.

-LT

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thomisidae: Xysticus

Its most likely a large species of crab spider (family: Thomisidae), possibly of the genus Xysticus, looking very similar to the species Xyticus emertoni which can get somewhat of a large legspan. The specimen is a male due to the tufts on the pedipalps. Another possibility is that it may be of the genus Platythomisus, which also includes large crab spider species. Hope that helped :)

Alex S.

Last edited:

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I must disagree in this case Alex. I believe it is either a member of Theridiidae the comb footed spiders, or Linyphiidae the sheet-web or dwarf spiders. Both of these families contain thousands of species that occur world wide, and they are both similar in many ways. I would need more information to even guess the genus and *cough-choke* species. This often requires disection of the specimine and examination under a microscope which I am neither qualified, nor have any desire to do... ;)

Here are a few tips on what is needed in order to make a decent guess as to what species a spider *might* be:

1) In addition to pics of the entire spider, some good, clear, close up pics of the carapace from both dorsal and frontal views. The shape of the carapace and the eye arrangement is what is needed to be seen. Position of the chelicera can be quite useful too. These kinds of pics are not easy to get but they are the best help in identifying a spider at least dow to the proper family. (Better look up "Macro Function"... lol)

2) Does it construct a web? What does it look like? Round and uniform? Random and undefined? Horizontal sheet with a funnel? What kind of web (or lack there of) sure narrows the field in many cases.

3) Does it burrow or construct a shelter or hide? Does it actively hunt prey or lay in wait? What type of habitat was it found in?

4) Try to include a size reference in your pics if you can like a dime, a bottle cap, a pencil or pen tip, ect...

You might not know all of this information about the specimine, but what you DO know and can observe will certainly help in your quest for identification.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Arachniphile, I can guarantee you it is not of the family Theridiidae as the body structure (mainly the legs) is way off, and is very similar to the Thomisidae (crab spiders). I have caught large specimens that look almost exactly like this that are crab spiders. There is still always the chance that it is of a different family though...

Alex S.

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah after I wrote that I spent some time looking it over and pretty much ruled out the Theridiidae as well due to the shape of the carapace. It is just too hard to tell without a good view of the eye arrangement and no one has stated wether it constructs a web or not. I am fairly sure that most (if not all) Thomisidae do not construct a web for capturing prey but rather hunt by means of ambush. I am leaning towards Linyphiidae, if it constructs a web. One thing that would help greatly here is to know wether the spider has two or three claws at the end of each leg.

...and Alex... No worries here.... I am just seeking to understand better something that I enjoy.... :)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Arachniphile, of course no worries, man :) We all love arachnids here. I do agree with you that it could also possibly be of the family Linyphiidae. A few more close up photos would help...

Alex S.