New P. murinus

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
today i drove 45 minutes 2 the petstore and picked up this lil booger looks greyish like a forthall baboon (P. lugardi) it was 26 but i was like hey mise well get it id pay that in shipping and stuff....

Last edited:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your new spider.... I don't mean to act like I know everything because I dont but from what I have read P. murinus like it really dry. Your enclosure looks pretty wet. I keep mine bone dry with only a water dish. Just trying to help... looks like a great little critter...

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on your new spider.... I don't mean to act like I know everything because I dont but from what I have read P. murinus like it really dry. Your enclosure looks pretty wet. I keep mine bone dry with only a water dish. Just trying to help... looks like a great little critter...
yea i guess ill juss let it dry up c if it webs are they this greyish when their little?????

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats! I love this species! Also someone already mentioned it, but let it dry out.

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i guess

idk i might but it wont b any diffrent it all greyish its got sum growin 2 do and i wanna fatten it up hopefully itll b a female and get sum orange on it!!:}

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
100 % P. lugardi and you will most likely know upon next molt if its male or female. Every male I've had went from a 1 1/2" juvie to mature 3" - 3 1/2" in one molt.

Juvie P. lugardi:

Adult Male:

Adult Female:

Note: The difference of the carapace marking is a defining factor in mature males and females.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think, YouLosePayUp may be right there. P.Murinus are bright orange and can look brown while in pre-molt.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think, YouLosePayUp may be right there. P.Murinus are bright orange and can look brown while in pre-molt.
Not to mention the abdomen spots scream P. lugardi instead of P. murinus ;) .

Here's a comparison:

P. lugardi juvie again:

P. murinus juvie:

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rcf - P. murinus

i am definitely no expert here - maybe somebody can correct or confirm this. i was under the impression that P. murinus can come in more than one color form based on region. i have the ones that are bright orange and i was told they were the red color form (rcf) or Usambara Baboon. i believe they are all the same species, just different colors based on what areas they come from.

i certainly don't know enough to tell them apart, especially from a pic - except for the rcf OBT. i guess this is irrelevant if it is actually another species based on abdominal markings. i don't know enough about the other species of Pterinochilus but my recently molted rcf P. murinus was still a very bright orange before its molt. i have a couple older ones that would look a lot nicer and "new" again when they molt but they're all a very bright orange.

Anybody know if any of this is right? i almost hate to say anything about T's because there is so much i don't know. However, i like to read a lot and T's are one of my favorite subjects!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No your right they do come in different color forms...

In which case, can someone a picture of a NCF P.murinus.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have never owner NCF so I don't have pics of one, but they do carry the same traits as RCF. ie. abdomen markings will be similar.

Ohh and P. murinus comes in atleast 4 color forms:

RCF, NCF, Dark Form, and Kalahari Form :)

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the species has the widest distribution of all African species. There are four main colour forms, each of which differ slightly in colour and pattern: typical (TCF), red (RCF), Usamburu mountain variant (UMV) and dark (DCF) which isn't available in the hobby yet. Each form differs in not only their colour and habits but also size. The biggest form is the "TCF" - males have been recorded reaching 18cm LS (T.raab, 2005: http://www.baboonspiders.de). The "RCF" (also often sold under "trade" names like Pterinochilus sp. "Usamburu" or P.spinnifer or P.mamillatus) usually construct their silk shelters above the substrate where as the others are more terrestrial and will utilize terrestrial hides or burrows. In the wild it inhabits humid and semi -humid equatorial as well as arid bush land and semi deserted areas, with an altitude range between sea level to 2100m. They live in burrows, holes and utilizes other natural refugees on the ground, on the base of bushes, between stones and sometimes in the hollow of trees.

(info was taken from this link :D http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=43)