New Owner. New B. albopilosum burrowed??

harperstarantulas

Arachnopeon
Hi!

New owner here and jsut got my B. albopilosum a few days ago. After an afternoon of being out and exploring his new enclosure, he has burrowed him self deep already.. What should i do? He hasn't come out for water... How long do I wait until its concerning?

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi!

New owner here and jsut got my B. albopilosum a few days ago. After an afternoon of being out and exploring his new enclosure, he has burrowed him self deep already.. What should i do? He hasn't come out for water... How long do I wait until its concerning?
How big is the Tarantula?

That house appears to be big enough for an adult and has a number of setup issues that you'll want to correct:
1. Not nearly enough substrate, you don't want more than 1.5x the length of the tarantula in height from the top of the substrate to the lid.
2. Hard objects like your water dish are dangerous

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Welcome.
While he has barricaded himself in, I would pat down that substrate. They don't like it loose, so pat it down as much as possible. I would also get rid of anything heavy in the event that he burrows beneath it and gets damaged if it falls on him.
Tarantulas don't drink a lot. Just make sure he has fresh water always, just in case.
Tarantulas barricade themselves for a number of reasons and one is because they have just been moved/rehoused and are acclimating to their new home. They could also be getting ready to moult. I would not be concerned either way.
Has he eaten at all since you got him? If yes, how much?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
thats a good sign they are known to be burrowers from what i have read. no need to worry it means its getting comfy in its new home also i cant tell if thats a large rock or stone water dish?can pose a risk to your t if large/heavy enough. should it decide to tunnel under it might want to remove it if thats the case can use a clean peanut butter jar lid for water dish then you can begin the cycle most of us face cleaning the dish of sub diggin it out from where its been buried:Dhave fun and good luck

harperstarantulas

Arachnopeon
ooo Thank you for all the tips!! I had gotten the kit from jamie's tarantulas and it came with the rock dish! i'll take it out and maybe switch it for a small acrylic dish then? The bark is just cork bark and there is about 3 inches of substrate in the enclosure and i wet a corner. Should i pat the substrate down more?. I included a better picture. He hasn't eaten yet since I brought him back, I tried to feed him and after 12 hours the cricket was still in there so I took the cricket out? That was 2 days ago. Should i try again?

Oh! i forgot to say I think hes about 3 inches?

Attachments

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
ooo Thank you for all the tips!! I had gotten the kit from jamie's tarantulas and it came with the rock dish! i'll take it out and maybe switch it for a small acrylic dish then? The bark is just cork bark and there is about 3 inches of substrate in the enclosure and i wet a corner. Should i pat the substrate down more?. I included a better picture. He hasn't eaten yet since I brought him back, I tried to feed him and after 12 hours the cricket was still in there so I took the cricket out? That was 2 days ago. Should i try again?
Just give him some time to acclimate to his environment, there's a couple reasons as to why he / she might not eat, but it's certain that they'll be fine for now. Just provide her a water dish and try feeding more or less once a week til she takes it or you find her out to be in premolt.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
He's just making himself at home.
He probably has some important things to do.
You'll see him soon. Maybe.
Mine sometimes won't even come out to dinner with me when they're busy.

Offer water always.

Arachnrdz

Arachnopeon
Hi!

My T. Albopilosus (fluffy) always does that every after a molt, she'll hide and block the entrance of her hide for 2weeks or more. I never worried about my T's fast as long as there are a water dish available if they decided to have a drink.

It will come out whenever it wants to eat and hunt for a prey. Don't try digging it out because it might get stressed specialy if preparing for a molt.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Way way way too much height from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure. You'll need to add more when you can

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Way way way too much height from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure. You'll need to add more when you can
Definitely gotta agree with you there, although the vent holes are all lower and would probably get covered? Can you drill more or flip the enclosure? Basically want max 1.5x leg span for height.

Also gotta agree with @kingshockey it's sometimes just a cycle of watching the lil curly fill up water dish with dirt!

harperstarantulas

Arachnopeon
Definitely gotta agree with you there, although the vent holes are all lower and would probably get covered? Can you drill more or flip the enclosure? Basically want max 1.5x leg span for height.

Also gotta agree with @kingshockey it's sometimes just a cycle of watching the lil curly fill up water dish with dirt!
hm ok!! its around 3'' of substrate in a 7x7x11 and its a 3'' tarantula? You think i should pack the dirt more and add more? Should i drill more holes? and thank you all! Its good to know that hes ok without eating. I will try feeding him again tomorrow. How long should i leave the cricket in there before taking him out?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If they are boarded up you can wait to offer meals.
They won't answer the door anyway.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hm ok!! its around 3'' of substrate in a 7x7x11 and its a 3'' tarantula? You think i should pack the dirt more and add more? Should i drill more holes? and thank you all! Its good to know that hes ok without eating. I will try feeding him again tomorrow. How long should i leave the cricket in there before taking him out?
Alright I gotcha:
1) pack in more substrate, 3-5 inches more, pack substrate tightly.
2) drill more holes, esp if the lower ones get covered.
3) make sure there is water dish, he can go a year probably without eating and just be mildly upset.
4) I do about 24 hours, if you are worried about potential premolt or molt upcoming, prekill feeder. I would offer food every 2/3 days however just so the lil bugger eats well and grows faster and all that jazz. Plus a obese spider can sometimes molt twice in case something goes wrong in first molt, however the chances of fatal fall increase but just add more substrate to mitigate that.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Please wait.
Do not pack any substrate.
Do not drill holes with a spider inside the enclosure.

Make any adjustments later, when there is not a buried spider.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please wait.
Do not pack any substrate.
Do not drill holes with a spider inside the enclosure.

Make any adjustments later, when there is not a buried spider.
I feel like with how happily albos burrow, you can easily just catch cup for a bit while you make adjustments?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I feel like with how happily albos burrow, you can easily just catch cup for a bit while you make adjustments?
Right.
But if is dug in don't dig it out.
Catch it when you see it but don't pack substrate around a buried t .

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
hm ok!! its around 3'' of substrate in a 7x7x11 and its a 3'' tarantula? You think i should pack the dirt more and add more?
You don't have to, general rule for terrestrials is to leave no more than 1.5x leg span vertical space between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure (4.5 inches in your case) and your setup already sattisfies this rule (7" tall enclosure - 3" of substrate = 4" of vertical space).

That said, I gave mine 5-6 inches of tightly packed sub as they do like to dig.

13L hobby life tub.jpg

Should i drill more holes?
No.

and thank you all! Its good to know that hes ok without eating. I will try feeding him again tomorrow. How long should i leave the cricket in there before taking him out?
I wouldn't bother attempting to feed as long as the burrow entrance is closed, it'll come out when it's hungry.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You don't have to, general rule for terrestrials is to leave no more than 1.5x leg span vertical space between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure (4.5 inches in your case) and your setup already sattisfies this rule (7" tall enclosure - 3" of substrate = 4" of vertical space).
Is the height not 11 inches? For a 3 inch albo? If it's 7 your definitely fine.