New/Odd Behavior

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
HI all, I am not sure if this is normal or means anything, but i am always paranoid about my spiders and more than likely one of you can help as always. My 8yr old female Mexican Redknee (B.Smithi) first of all hasnt eaten in a month or more, but is perhaps in pre-molt as it was around this time last year that she molted. Anyways she drumms on the ground with her legs, turns circles, and is almost always sitting on one side of the cage with 1/2 her legs on the glass. Is this perfectly normal? or is she trying to tell me something?

Thanks,

Mark

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mark,
Sounds normal to me. How long has it been sense you changed the substrate? Has the temp gone up in your bug room to make it become more active? I just looked at all my T's and half of them have their legs up on the glass. "It's a leg thing". I'm sure its fine, maybe pre-molt like you say.

MrT

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Changed the substrate (plain non fertilized potting soil) few months ago, the temp goes from 67 in the night to 78-80 in the day when i come in and turn on the heater..by the way, 67 or so in the night wont hurt my a.geniculata will it? because it reaches reasonable temps during the day?

Thanks,

Mark

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hehe, my G.Rosea's showing the exact same behaviour (think she's in premolt though..been diggin/webbin alot) lies on the same spot, with her legs partly up the glass.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A lot of my tarantulas do the same thing. I think if they have there feet on the glass/plastic sides of the cages it makes them fell more secure.(ie: like a burrow)