new OBT and gotta Q

Only1OBT

Arachnopeon
hey all I just purchased an OBT about a week ago and I love her but after about 4 days of non-stop webbing (literally this girl did not take a break) she covered the whole cage but anyways shes about 1 1/2" in legspan and I have her in a small container I wanted to change it right after but I really have a hard time making up my mind on how I want to set it up and what size container to get so can someone please help me out. thanx:D

Greyhalo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OBTs are terrestrial burrowers. For terrestrial Ts it is ideal for the container to have a width of 2x the size of the T and a length of 3x the size of the T. So a container with a 3"x5" would be good.

How big of a container do you have her in right now? If she has webbed a lot and has settled in and the container isnt too small then you could leave her in there until she moults and outgrows the container.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
OBT's can be terrestrial or semi-arboreal. It's not rare to have an OBT make their tube web in the to corner of a tank. From what I understand (never had one that small, the one I had was around 3.5" when I got it) when they are younger they can be predominately terrestrial burrowers...but this may not necessarily continue when it gets older.

Do a search for "OBT" or "murinus" using the forum's search engine...this species has been discussed to no end ;) I'm positive you can find the info you are looking for within a few minutes of doing so :) btw, tank size vs T size is pretty much independant of the species of tarantula...and just for a quick bit of help, at 1.5" I used very small containers for my T's (usually the disposable plastic containers made by zip-loc with some air holes punched in them...hint: heat up the needle/nail/puncture-tool with a flame so that it goes through cleanly instead of possibly splitting the plastic). Rough measurements off the top of my head were 3 to 4"L X 2-3"H X 2-3"W...and at that size it will be molting and growing fairly rapidly so the container that fits it now may not fit in a two months.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murnius are semi-arboreal. This means that they can live in a web arboreally or can burrow... Both of my OBT's have burrowed, i set up their tank with deep substrate and started a burrow for them. One took to it (the bigger one) the smaller made its own shallow burrow and tube web up the corner of the tank underneath the water bowl. It has the tube web but it stays underground.

What you could do for a setup for him/her is provide a tall tank, with decor and a hide vertically if it wants to be arboreal. Also provide deep substrate so that if it wants to burrow it can... Just an idea :)

I set mine up fossorially as i know thats how i wanted them to go. Then they're out the way of my fingers :D They do set up nicely decorated burrows too :D

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Keep in mind, when you go to rehouse her,she will likely not want to leave he newly decorated home. If you try to force her you will most likely see just how fast an OBT can run.
What has worked for me is to let it out grow is present container than place that container in a larger enclosure. That way she can come out and explore when shes ready with little or no stress. Right now I have a 2' that still refuses to enter her new inclosure, been a few weeks but she will need to strech her legs soon.
Jason

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"...let it out grow is present container than place that container in a larger enclosure. That way she can come out and explore when shes ready with little or no stress."

Very clever strategy. I'll try that when I get my tarantula.

Only1OBT

Arachnopeon
OBTs are terrestrial burrowers. For terrestrial Ts it is ideal for the container to have a width of 2x the size of the T and a length of 3x the size of the T. So a container with a 3"x5" would be good.

How big of a container do you have her in right now? If she has webbed a lot and has settled in and the container isnt too small then you could leave her in there until she moults and outgrows the container.

the container is H:4 in. L:6 in. W:3in. and can someone please link me to another thread or give me more feedback on my OBT. Sorry if I'm askin' too much but I really want to raise my spider cause there's something about this spider that makes me want to make sure it has a good healthy lifesyle especially since there not used to being caged up.Thanx:D

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
the container is H:4 in. L:6 in. W:3in. and can someone please link me to another thread or give me more feedback on my OBT. Sorry if I'm askin' too much but I really want to raise my spider cause there's something about this spider that makes me want to make sure it has a good healthy lifesyle especially since there not used to being caged up.Thanx:D
sure

Do a search for "OBT" or "murinus" using the forum's search engine...this species has been discussed to no end ;) I'm positive you can find the info you are looking for within a few minutes of doing so :)
Not asking too much, just asking about stuff that has many many MANY threads that have already answered your questions many many times :) Which is why I referred you to the search engine...you'd have your answer by now rather than waiting for us to answer (and your T does not have anything special about it that would require a custom answer). Here's the link to the "advanced" search engine for Arachnoboards (it is your friend :)):

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/search.php

btw, if you want to search for two keywords at once, or if you want to exclude a certain word(s), be sure and use a Boolean operator such as "and" and "not". It doesn't say on the search engine page and is not required to search for multiple words...but it does help narrow down the results even better.

Example: you want to know about OBT housing, put in "obt and housing".

Example 2: you want to know about OBT housing but not about humidity in the housing, put in "obt and housing not humidity"

Or if you don't want to use the search engine for some unknown reason other than being lazy and prefer to be spoonfed like a baby (in no way am I saying YOU are, but there are and have been people like this on the forum)...try reading back four or five pages in this forum and browse the thread titles. I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least five OBT threads (I haven't looked).

good luck on your research!

oh...and one last thing, they spend most of their lives in a small burrow or tubeweb...they really don't care if they're in a container or not as long as they have food ;)