New mystery addition??

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
picked up this guy today...labeled, "peruvian green birdeater"...have no idea what sp. he/she is...anybody take a guess??...I would say s/he is about 3inches or so

very striking colours!....quick little guy aswell, bolted on me, ended up inder a piece of cork bark on the carpet...

heresis a horrible ventral shot....yeesh

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you get it from Bruce? It looks exactly like our Theraphosidae sp. Peru (which is believed to be a species of Cyclosternum) according to TC.

Cass

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im not good at Identifying Ts but looks like Theraphosidae sp.peru..

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
haha cass we wrote same thing at the same time! the pics above reminds me one of pics from T.canada. Maybe that's why. lol but u were bit faster lol

AllieCat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no idea what he is but he sure does have a purty bottom!!! :D

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Did you get it from Bruce? It looks exactly like our Theraphosidae sp. Peru (which is believed to be a species of Cyclosternum) according to TC.

Cass
According to this, its not a Cyclosternum. See the note at the bottom of the page about the urticating hairs.

Under the right lighting the males are some of the prettiest spiders I've seen.

Remember when the name birdeater use to mean a big spiders:rolleyes:

Later,Tom

miarachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for that Tom.
I have a bunch of these. Some were puchased as Cyclostarnum sp. "Machala". the MM and another female were purchased as Cyclosternum mocropus.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is a freaking gorgeous freaking spider, I love the gold but don't really see any green. I also don't see it eating any birds. No idea what it is but I agree it looks like it may not be a theraphosid at all.

Good luck with the identification and finding more and breeding them and exporting the offspring to the US so someone here can breed them and I can buy one... :D

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got it from a LPS....they had 2 of them since they were slings...bin watchin them grow, prolly sac mates....finally decided to grab one...prolly goin back for the other for sure!....very beautiful T!....cant wait see it get bigger...

upon further inspection...it does say "Theraphsosidea sp. "Peru" on the scotch tape, on the bottom of her container.....

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
According to this, its not a Cyclosternum. See the note at the bottom of the page about the urticating hairs.

Under the right lighting the males are some of the prettiest spiders I've seen.

Remember when the name birdeater use to mean a big spiders:rolleyes:

Later,Tom
The cyclosternum was purely speculation, which is why TC sells them just as Theraphosidae sp Peru.

I think birdeater applies, they could prey on the extremely rare, terrestrial hummingbird{D

Mackenzie

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It shows similarities to my C. fasciatum, in its skittishness, and its skinny legs aswell....lol.....does anyone know if they get similar in size ??

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's our immature male after his last molt

They are absolutely gorgeous, and absolutely nuts.
Cass

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Good luck with the identification and finding more and breeding them and exporting the offspring to the US so someone here can breed them and I can buy one... :D

They have been in the US hobby for years and have been bred a few times. Like miarachnids mentioned, look for dealer's selling Cyclosternum sp. "Machalla", its the same spider. Before that they were bred and sold as Metriopelma sp. "blue femur" or something like that. (but thats going way back) As of now the best working name for them is Theraphosidae sp. "Peru" like the post above.

Later, Tom

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They have been in the US hobby for years and have been bred a few times. Like miarachnids mentioned, look for dealer's selling Cyclosternum sp. "Machalla", its the same spider. Before that they were bred and sold as Metriopelma sp. "blue femur" or something like that. (but thats going way back) As of now the best working name for them is Theraphosidae sp. "Peru" like the post above.

Later, Tom
Well all right! I've heard those names bandied about but didn't know that this spider was what that was. Maybe I should try a little harder to read the whole thread before replying... (Off to the FS/T section...)

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess its not a mystery anymore....thanx everyone, for your replies...cant believe ive never really seen, or heard much about these guys over the years...very underrated T, IMHO......I will keep everyone posted on his/hers progress as time goes on...hope one day i can come up wit a breeding pair!.....wish me luck