new member,new T

kuwala84

Arachnopeon
hi guys and gals.new to forums and to the hobby.

i recently got my first T a week ago,a b boehmei.what a beauty.she is 2" maybe a bit bigger.woke up this morning to find she had barricaded herself in her den and as u might expect i was a little worried as i had no idea wat was happening but after reading countless post on this topic my worries were put to rest and instead replaced with excitement.thanks to every1 who has posted and shed light on this topic.

so i had a wee peek into the den this afternoon and saw what looked like to sets of legs(hopefully).

when she decides to return to the real world i will hopefully get some pics and post them for every 1 to see.

thanks again

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome :D

Yes we hope to see your beautiful T in pictures soon.
I currently have about 3 of my Ts barricaded in their hide.
I have actually seen some of them dragging the dirt with their pedipalps in their latest architectural redesign of their home :)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 2 T's underground atm. One just molted in there, the other just calls it home I think.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Welcome. Its a fun hobby and expect to have alot tarantulas when the addiction really kicks in

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, welcome to the forum and the hobby!
Just so you know, the former feeds the latter. ;)

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Congrats! And welcome to the hobby, I currently have 1 T in their burrow. It's a Brazilian salmon pink. No signs of premolt, hasn't covered up the enterance so I'm assuming its for comfort reasons. Nothing like waking up and finding their enclosures completely the opposite of how you left it. That's one of the main reasons why they are so interesting. Please share pics when applicable.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the forum and to the hobby! One of the best bits of advice I can give anyone.....The tarantula knows what is best for the tarantula......... It may seem completely alien or weird to you as a human, but if it has chosen to barricade itself away from the world for a reason and it will also know when to come back. ;) If it has in fact molted, give it a week to harden after before feeding. If it chooses to stay barricaded for a couple days/ weeks/ months, that is also not unheard of and as long as you have water available it is fine. Congratulations on the new T, hopefully a new set of clothes, and a new hobby that quickly becomes an addiction. :) Once again, welcome to the forum!:D

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
Welcome to the hobby!!! I myself have two mexican red knee, one burrows a lot and also molted in his burrow while the other doesn't even bother to excavate or hide in the artificial shelter that i put. the latter just want to be in the open. both are already 2".

kuwala84

Arachnopeon
Just an update guys.my boehmie hasn't moored.he is just sitting in his hide with his door barricaded.has any1 got any ideas how long fire legs tend to stay in their dens like that

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Welcome to the Hobby.

As for predicting behavior, there are predispositions:

G. rosea are calm
P. murinus are bitey etc.

but for each individual spider, anything but a trend is all anyone can offer you.

Get to know your own pet, this is one of the great parts of the hobby.

I have a spiders that fit the stereotypes perfectly and I have some that bend those ideas to the breaking point.

So enjoy the discovery.

to try and answer your question:

I've had T's stay in solitary for months at a time.

make sure there's water in the water dish.
Make sure the substrate remains slightly moist. ( not bone dry )