New jumping spider trouble

basin79

ArachnoGod
Right, thanks for commenting. :) I guess I'll just wait then and hope for the best.
Well unfortunately his time is limited now.

To make sure though have a look at mature males on Google and compare yours.

CritterFriendly

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't suggest leaving crickets in a spider enclosure if the spider isn't eating. They can actually injure and/or kill your spiders, a house fly would do more justice than fruit flies here seeing its size. Smack them lightly, as to just disorient them rather than kill then grab and drop it in so the jumper can naturally hunt it when it's ready with no injury risk if you need to leave food in the tank. Super glad to hear it is now drinking!

Iskilsa

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't suggest leaving crickets in a spider enclosure if the spider isn't eating. They can actually injure and/or kill your spiders, a house fly would do more justice than fruit flies here seeing its size. Smack them lightly, as to just disorient them rather than kill then grab and drop it in so the jumper can naturally hunt it when it's ready with no injury risk if you need to leave food in the tank. Super glad to hear it is now drinking!
Thanks! I haven't seen a housefly here in months, so I'll go to the petstore tomorrow. Thanks again :)

Iskilsa

Arachnopeon
Wow lucky, lol I wish that was the case here. The flies have been outrageous down south in the US this year.
Well you might not feel lucky but I bet your spiders certainly do! :rofl:
Yep, every fall and winter there's a drop in housefly numbers, the weather is pretty cold here.

CritterFriendly

Arachnopeon
Well you might not feel lucky but I bet your spiders certainly do! :rofl:
Yep, every fall and winter there's a drop in housefly numbers, the weather is pretty cold here.
Yeah we didn't get much of a winter here this past year so those and mosquitos have been decently bad. Yes however, my locally WC spider friends do love them. It's so interesting to watch jumpers stalk and hunt!

Iskilsa

Arachnopeon
Update: GUYS HE ATE!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

I went to the pet store to buy some mealworms because he was nooot interested in crickets or flies, and lo' and behold, he IMMEDIATELY attacked the mealworm. I have a video of it happening too, his first meal in exactly 2 weeks. I'm sooo happy and relieved that he decided to nom on some food. He's eating the worm as we speak, and it was really fascinating to watch him attack it a few times before finally deciding to chow down.

I'm really happy my story has a happy ending. Hope his apetite doesn't go back down though! Thank you everyone who commented with all the help. :) :spider:

Iskilsa

Arachnopeon
FINAL UPDATE: Loki passed away on the 2nd of December 2020. I guess my story doesn't have a happy ending after all :(

I don't know what was wrong, I believe it was simply of old age, as he was refusing to eat overall and was well hydrated before his passing. He only ate once since I had gotten him, and he was not really interested in any food I've offered him. I tried force-feeding him on his final day (putting mealworm juice on his pedipalps/mouth so he'd be forced to lick it), but it was too late. I also tried putting water on his mouth after he flipped over to the deathcurl position, as a final resort to revive him, but to no avail. It's very unfortunate and I'm very sad, but I hope he had a happy life with me and the previous owner.

Thanks for all your help, guys. Cheers

Lokiismyheart

Arachnopeon
Hello guys! New here. Yesterday, I've received a jumping spider (Phidippus regius) called Loki!

My question is: I've heard jumping spiders are very quick and hyper, but since I've gotten him, he's been very slow in movement. He's made a little trip from one side of the terrarium to another this morning, but has been sitting on one spot for the rest of the day. I've been wondering if he's hungry, thirsty, too cold or just too stressed? I offered him a little fruit fly yesterday, and he (slowly) followed it around but didn't seem to be "able" to catch it or even try, so I figured I'd offer him a cricket instead but he didn't care about it at all. Today, I tried misting the terrarium yet he doesn't seem interested in water either. He hasn't built himself a bed yet (though I've spotted a faint bit of webbing at the top of the terrarium, however it doesn't look like your typical thick jumpers' nest at all)

Hello guys! New here. Yesterday, I've received a jumping spider (Phidippus regius) called Loki!

My question is: I've heard jumping spiders are very quick and hyper, but since I've gotten him, he's been very slow in movement. He's made a little trip from one side of the terrarium to another this morning, but has been sitting on one spot for the rest of the day. I've been wondering if he's hungry, thirsty, too cold or just too stressed? I offered him a little fruit fly yesterday, and he (slowly) followed it around but didn't seem to be "able" to catch it or even try, so I figured I'd offer him a cricket instead but he didn't care about it at all. Today, I tried misting the terrarium yet he doesn't seem interested in water either. He hasn't built himself a bed yet (though I've spotted a faint bit of webbing at the top of the terrarium, however it doesn't look like your typical thick jumpers' nest at all)

I live in a colder climate but my room temperature is at around 20-22 degrees.

Is this normal, if not would anyone know what to do? Do I just let him be for a few days, mist his cage every now and again in the meantime?

Any help will be really appreciated! :spider:
I’m just looking at things wondering why my jumping spider is so active 😅 a zebra jumping spiderling

sp00dert00t

Arachnopeon
Because:
1. He seemed genuienly interested in one on the first day, following it around and attempting to catch it, but the fly was too fast and later escaped (his movement was very slow since day 1)
2. I've heard you're not allowed to leave crickets in overnight and he looks to be "afraid" of them as I've mentioned above. He would avoid them so much, he'd completely abandon the web he's started making on the rough wall to move onto the glass parts of the enclosure where they couldn't reach him.

Obviosuly, I know he's not afraid of the crickets as he's eaten them before with the previous owner, but it's how I can best describe his behaviour.
I would personally say its very possible he is scared of the crickets, especially if he is in pre-molt etc. what ever ended ip happening?