New HUGE G. rosea and a pTERROR experience

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hee hee....... Went to the pet store the other day to see if they had a good looking rose-hair, and found a huge, most likely, female..... She is prob. only two or three molts away from maturity. Anyway, she is my 2nd T, looking good, very active at night. I set up the enclosure the way the Rose hair post said to. Gentle as a lamb also.
Anyway, I switched the lids on the tanks. One is screen and one is locking lid (for snakes). I went to work early the next morning, get home and Dante the Pterror is gone! no sign of a new burrow, no high rise apartment was built, "oh crap, he musta got out somehow cause I switched lids." So, me being the careful (scared) girl that I am I get a long handled kitchen spoon and gently prod the substrate. That sucker BOILED out from under the substrate and tried to kill my spoon!!! I've NEVER seen anything so red, so fast, and so friggin ANGRY!!! *L* I about peed on myself..... He stayed in threat posture for about two minutes! So if you think yours has disapeared use CAUTION when you look for the bugger......:)

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by HerpInvertGirl
So, me being the careful (scared) girl that I am I get a long handled kitchen spoon and gently prod the substrate. That sucker BOILED out from under the substrate and tried to kill my spoon!!! I've NEVER seen anything so red, so fast, and so friggin ANGRY!!! *L* I about peed on myself..... He stayed in threat posture for about two minutes! So if you think yours has disapeared use CAUTION when you look for the bugger......:)
I have a G. rosea that hit a plastic spoon so hard it nearly knocked it out of my hand. She has never bit me, but hit that spoon with surprising force. Do you think T's hate spoons?

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hmm...... Maybe they do hate spoons..... *L* of course I would be more scared of the the big hand reaching in if I were a T.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It is entirely possible that inverts, as a whole, hate spoons. Last night I had the task of seperating some babies off the back of Madame Hortense, one of my H.spinifer (you can check out the details here. I used a wooden spoon to dislodge them and then would move her away and use a small scoop and a deli cup to take the babies out of the empty container I had her moved her into. Needless to say, this brought my hands very much down to her level. So what I did was leave the spoon leaning against the side of the enclosure so that it was in front of her. She never let her guard against the spoon down long enough to take a run at my hand.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I like spoons myself ... they are good for eating soup.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: New HUGE G. rosea and a pTERROR experience

Originally posted by Professor T
I have a G. rosea that hit a plastic spoon so hard it nearly knocked it out of my hand. She has never bit me, but hit that spoon with surprising force. Do you think T's hate spoons?
My rosie hates the tweezers that I use to do maintainence. She rears up at them and puts herself between her coconut hide and the tweezers when I'm working in her cage. Its kinda of cute now but kind of scary at first considering how everything you read says rosies are "docile" tarantulas and then one rushes out of its hidey place goes into a threat posture at warp speed because you are picking cricket legs out of its dirt.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
My rose hair doesnt like my ruler... almost the same size as a wooden spoon but clear... if the spoon comes within a couple inches of her she rears her but up at it and shoots her hairs... its pretty funny... but she has never done that to my hand. So aslong as she just keeps hating on the ruler im happy...

TheDon

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
...mine hates my mother-in-law.
Who said you can't train a spider? ;)
She also hates being looked at.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
When I use the tweezers to clean, my rosie has a real fit too!
Fangs up and the whole nine yards. I think its kind of funny :D

The pink toe eats her food from the tweezers, no fear or display
and let's me clean without any static~:0) Sometimes she tries
to leave though:rolleyes:

The other T's just move to the other side of their containers
and watch what I do:cool:

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Big Ball of Hell Fire

I have always just used my hand when changing the water in my G. Rosea cage, I could put my hand right next to her and nothing, she didn't care. I have had her for forever so I thought I knew her behavior patterns. Lastnight I was going to clean her water bowl when she came running out of her hide and pounced right on the bowl. I could hear her fangs hit it. Thank god I have quick reflexes or I would have a couple of fang shaped holes in my hand. For the rest of the evening any little movement and she was in threat posture. I know it wasn't cuz she was hungry, just throwing an attitude my way I guess.