New hobbyist, first T

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome to the hobby, and awesome choice for first spider! That whole genus is near the top of my wish list.

I'm absolutely addicted already, these animals are testing my willpower and bank account.
Unfortunately, none of us here have been able to pass those tests, so good luck! Although, even if you fail, you still win because you end up with more spiders. :biggrin: It sounds like you are going to do fine. You know how to do research and accept advice, and don't go storming off to pout when someone says a pokie is not a good idea for a second or third spider, although you already figured that out on your own.

Recommendations for your next spider:
Don't discount the Brachypelma or Grammostola genera. B. smithi is the classic tarantula, and Brachys are beautiful spiders across the board. There are plenty of brown spiders out there, but not among the Brachys (unless there is something I am forgetting). Plus, they are generally pretty calm, although I know there are exceptions. Grammostolas do tend to have more brown spiders and tend to go on hunger strikes, but most of them are considered good beginner spiders. When I got into the hobby, it was with a G. pulchripes (back then it was G. aureostriata, actually) and other than the occasional hunger strike, we've been very happy with her. They have the stripes on the knee which give them some color. G. rosea has a reputation for being psychos, so not as good a beginner tarantula. The drawback with Brachys and Grammos is that they are slower growers than a GBB or a genic, although typically not as skittish. Aphonopelma is another good genus, although there are many variations on brown and they are slow growers as well. If you pick up a juvenile or larger in one of those genera, you will avoid that problem. When you only have two spiders, you probably don't really want a tiny spider that will stay tiny for quite some time.

Just be careful at the reptile show. We went to the NARBC show in Chicago in March. We had two spiders when we left the house. We brought home 11. It can be really easy to go a bit overboard. :laugh: Don't feel you have to pick something up while you are there. There are plenty of good deals to be found in the classifieds here, and I know there are a number of breeders in Texas. You might be able to find someone you could pick up your purchase from, saving money on shipping (freeing it up for another spider or two at the same time.) Having said that, if you find something you like at a good price, nothing beats buying an animal at a dedicated show like that.

soundsmith

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby, and awesome choice for first spider! That whole genus is near the top of my wish list.

Unfortunately, none of us here have been able to pass those tests, so good luck! Although, even if you fail, you still win because you end up with more spiders. :biggrin: It sounds like you are going to do fine. You know how to do research and accept advice, and don't go storming off to pout when someone says a pokie is not a good idea for a second or third spider, although you already figured that out on your own.

Recommendations for your next spider:
Don't discount the Brachypelma or Grammostola genera. B. smithi is the classic tarantula, and Brachys are beautiful spiders across the board. There are plenty of brown spiders out there, but not among the Brachys (unless there is something I am forgetting). Plus, they are generally pretty calm, although I know there are exceptions. Grammostolas do tend to have more brown spiders and tend to go on hunger strikes, but most of them are considered good beginner spiders. When I got into the hobby, it was with a G. pulchripes (back then it was G. aureostriata, actually) and other than the occasional hunger strike, we've been very happy with her. They have the stripes on the knee which give them some color. G. rosea has a reputation for being psychos, so not as good a beginner tarantula. The drawback with Brachys and Grammos is that they are slower growers than a GBB or a genic, although typically not as skittish. Aphonopelma is another good genus, although there are many variations on brown and they are slow growers as well. If you pick up a juvenile or larger in one of those genera, you will avoid that problem. When you only have two spiders, you probably don't really want a tiny spider that will stay tiny for quite some time.

Just be careful at the reptile show. We went to the NARBC show in Chicago in March. We had two spiders when we left the house. We brought home 11. It can be really easy to go a bit overboard. :laugh: Don't feel you have to pick something up while you are there. There are plenty of good deals to be found in the classifieds here, and I know there are a number of breeders in Texas. You might be able to find someone you could pick up your purchase from, saving money on shipping (freeing it up for another spider or two at the same time.) Having said that, if you find something you like at a good price, nothing beats buying an animal at a dedicated show like that.
I am hoping to find a female in the 3"+ range with my next one. You had me worried at first when you said be careful at the reptile show, I was expecting a horror story haha. Do you know of any specific breeders here in TX? Google turns up basically nothing, unless you meant breeders located in TX that sell through the forum? A smithi would be pretty cool as well, too many choices!

I think the solution is to get them all perhaps. lol

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are a number of people that advertise in the classifieds here from Texas. I can't tell you who off the top of my head, though. There are plenty of good species out there for a beginner, especially if you plan to get something larger than a tiny sling. That is a double edged sword, however, as it makes it harder to narrow down your choices. What I did was write out a list of spiders that I would be fine with buying today if I find one at a price I like. (There are some genera that I might be interested in at some point in the future, but right now I am not comfortable with.) Then I figured out which were the ones I was most interested in, based on max size, typical temperament, ease of keeping, appearance, etc. You have time to research specific species now, so you can have a pretty good idea of what you want when you get to the show. Then, if you find one or more on the list just figure out which one you want most at the prices they are asking. I would caution against buying the first thing you see, unless it is #1 on your list at a great price. Don't pass up the perfect tarantula and then kick yourself later if it is gone, but you don't want to jump at the first option and then find something you want more, or at a better price. Of course, if you did, you could always get a second spider. {D