new green tree frog tank

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got 12 green tree frogs, very cool little frogs.

Deathreaver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice tank, but is it hanging from the cieling and why if it is???:?

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes, the tank is hanging right above my tv. I have open beam ceilings so it is hanging from a beam. The main reason is i did not have room for another 55 gallon. So i got creative, besides it looks cool :)

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
OH my goodness, hes (its) sooooo cute !! :D He would make a good desktop eh ? :D

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
steve...Is it just me? Or do you like to hang your tanks up?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would love to set up my red eyed tree frogs kind of like that! I have them in a tall enclosure now, but there is paper toweling for substrate (easier cleanup). what type of moss is that growing in there? what are you using for substrate? do you let the frogs poop on the plants for fertilizer? any tips, tricks? I was going to set up a false bottom with an old undergravel filter but never got around to it.
Ed

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The moss is just standard moss that i took off of rocks. Where i live i can get sheets of moss off rocks that are very large, 3'x3'. I used some of that and some other types clump moss. I wanted to see which lasted longer, if some does die. Around the plant areas i put cheap potting soil. I got 2, 10 pound bags from walmart. The cheap stuff $.96 bag, it has no fertilizer in it. Then to fill in, i used pure peat. then covered the whole ground w/ moss exept around the back of the plants so i could water them and an area for the water pool/dish. Yeah im leaving the poop in there. it seems to be breaking down pretty fast. Hopefully it will continue to be almost maintenance free.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok, does the moss do ok with fluorescent lighting? how many on and off hours of a photoperiod are you using? I appreciate your input!
Ed

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Originally posted by steve055
Just for you, here is the full res pic if you want to do a wallpaper. (1.7mb)
silly frog
Thanks, Ive been using it. :D He looks like hes sitting there, with his "hands" folded, thinking about something. :D

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's not on a timer right now so it goes on and off when i remeber. At night around 8:30, the morning when i wake up. BUT, the morning is not a problom, as you can see from the pics the tank is hanging. The room has high w/ open beams. The wall across from the tank is the outside wall, at top of this wall there is a window at the "peak" of the house. And every morning the sun comes through that window and the lower windows right into the tank for maybe 3-4 hours. With this natural light i dont feel the need to have any type of special fluorescent lights. In the future though if i feel the need (maybe for winter) im going to get some full-spectrum fluorescents.