NEW gravid emp

loucubanscorpio

Arachnopeon
I have a new panindus imperator and its gravid! i need to know if a 50 watt bulb is enough to keep it heated and if it is true that they will swim if i flood the tank with water for an hour and i only have sand in the tank, is that gonna be bad for the baby emps? like will the sand stick to them? its in a 10 gal. tank... i also only have a black light and it seems to really like it but i heard that it can do damage to the scorpion...should i get a new one?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
emps dont live on sand, so get her some PEAT or DEHYDRATED COCONUT FIBRES

DONT FLOOD THE TANK, they dont LIKE to swim

the temperature has to be around 20-30 degrees Celsius (oC)
so do whatever you can to keep it up
but HUMIDITY must also be above 70-80% so make sure the lid is 90% airtight

*sigh*

loucubanscorpio

Arachnopeon
How do i know what the humidity is and the temp? BUt they do know how to swim right? like if one day i wanted to feed it some guppys or something i could do it? What about my other questions? any answers?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Also Welcome to the boards :)

your setup should have peat/earth/coconut as the substrate, and plants and tiles and bark hides for the scorpion to hide in

(sorry for double post)

King_Baboon_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Look Louis what you have is a scorpion.

They live on the land. If you wanted something that lives in water you should have got fish!!

If you want to look after it properly then do what George says (i.e. keep it on moist peat about 4-5" deep and keep humidity above 75%)

If you want to know the temp and humidity get a humidity and thermometer dial.

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How cold is it in the room where you keep the scorpion? If you're comfortable enough in the room, (i.e, 70 degrees F or higher), then it's also good enough for the scorpion, so you might not need additional heating at all.

avd88

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use peat moss for my emps, its great to keep humidity levels, and as theyve said before scorpions do NOT swim, so if you flood your tank instead of having babies youll end up with a dead scorp.

loucubanscorpio

Arachnopeon
naw i was just wondering because they were talking about that in another chat about how theyre scorpion really likes it when they fill theyre tank with water for 3o minutes, i kno wat i have baboon guy and it was just a question, calm down. over here its usually around 68 and lower degrees in the winter.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You are going to kill your scorpion...you should really buy a book and find out a ton of info, before you bought it. Whoever told you they like to have their tank filled with water and soak their scorps for however long is a dumbass and is killing their pets buy dumbassness. No offense, but you should really try to figure everything out that is important before you get into a new pet.

Last edited:

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want to heat your scorpion's enclosure, you might wanna look into a heatmat. Light bulbs might dry out the substrate and scorpion. I've never used any kind of light bulbs (infrared, special heating ones for pets, and whatnot), so I'm not experienced with them, but the heatmat I use seem to do the job fine.

King_Baboon_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can't believe people giving that kind of advice.

I think that to most people it is obvious that scorpions are not amphibious. I think you should buy a book on how to look after scorpions.

When you feed your scorpion just give it plain old crickets. I don't think that scorpions have a staple diet of fish or guppies in the wild. If you feed it crixs or mealworms or roaches you won't go wrong.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We'll get you straightened out...try not to take us too personally, just try to learn from all of us so you can take care of them the best.

loucubanscorpio

Arachnopeon
Reitz05-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Mat,

The fish information is interesting. I stopped misting my emp tank a while ago and now I flood it with water. I started doing that because one day my spray bottle broke and I had to get the humidity up. I didn't have time to find another one, so I just poured some water in. When I came home the emps were all over the place. At first I thought I had disturbed them, but then I realized that their appitities had gone through the roof! Now I flood the tank about once a week and they're super active (well, as active as Emps can be!). It stands to reason, based on what your fish information suggests, that they usually hang out around river banks. I'm going to try feeding feeder fish to them on the same day that I flood the tank and see how that works out.

Peace,
Chris

<<<heres the convo about the flooding of the tanks....

loucubanscorpio

Arachnopeon
the subject is emps and water...a lot of them seemed to be doing it, well there it is if u want to look more into it

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
flooding is a strong word

what that person does is POUR water onto the soil instead of spraying it

the soil doesnt become underwater, it absorbs the water
(DONT USE TOO MUCH WATER)

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Goldfish are not a healthy substitute for crickets. In fact I have never heard of anyone feeding goldfish to their emps, so I don't know if it is okay for them.
Flooding the tank is not good though. Pour gravel at the bottom of the cage, add eco-earth or bark substrate on top of that. Put a small pipe leading down to the gravel so you can pour water into it and have it soak the gravel, not the bedding. This will keep the humidity levels good and you won't have a scorp in a too wet of bedding or trying to swim for its life. Having it too wet (i.e; flooding the tank) can cause fungus and respirtory problems in a enclosed enviornment (i.e; your cage).

I had one of my newly shipped C. Exilicaudas find the water dish and soak herself the other night. I saw her in it so I grabbed the tongs and pulled her out. She was about dead. It took her 20 minutes to gather herself and climb up part of the log and finish drying out. I thought she was going to die, but she pulled through. I do not know the cause of why they want to submerge themselves when they are dehydrated, but apparently it is not good for them, seeing how my scorp almost died due to not having gills to breath under water (duh). If she would of been in longer, she would of died, at first I thought she was when I first pulled her out. I recently took out all the sponges (Thanks Dave) and (she went in the dish before the gravel) put pea gravel in the bottom of dishes instead since then. I use to do this before, and I have never had a problem.

What is the point of you wanting to soak them and feed them goldfish? Do you just want to see if they can do it or what? You should get a Nile monitor or a water monitor, or better yet buy a water scorpion...they actually live in the water, and eat fish. Emps may live near moist enviornments with streams and may eat small fish in the wild that come to the edge, but they are not water dwelling scorps.

Last edited: