New G.rosea owner

pauls

Arachnopeon
I just purchased a cute little rose hair tarantula today. It's my first spider I owned, but I've been wanting one for a while now. I think I have everything figured out, but I'd like some further input to make sure I'm doing things right. I have a 10 gallon tank with about 1-1.5" of a soft, cork-like substrate. I have a water dish and will put in some branches for it to hide in later on. The temperature sits around 70F average, dropping as low as 65F for only a few hours daily.

One question I have is about the water dish. It is about an inch deep. The pet store told me to saturate some cotton balls and keep them in the dish. A friend of mine said no cotton, but line the dish with rocks in case the spider falls in. I was also wondering about humidity. The pet store said spray the spider daily with warm water...but I was informed that annoys the spider. I heard spraying the walls is a good routine. That and putting saran wrap under my screen top. A friend says it will hold in humidity and stop the spider from getting its toes caught in the screen. I'm informed that feeding is very basic. Toss a few crickets in every couple of days, then remove the leftovers after 24hrs. I know about molting, so I have no questions there. One last concern is something for my spider to hide/crawl around/etc. I didn't want to buy any extravagant object from the petstore and was told I could use drywood found outside. Is this a wise idea, or should I just fork out money and buy something?

Here's a picture of my new friend. Thanks for any suggestions given!

Attachments

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pauls ,
Welcome to the group.
Thats a good looking rosea you have there.
A 10 gal. tank in mighty large, but it will work fine if you fill it with alot more substrate. Alot more. If your new T climbs to the top and falls, well the fall could kill it. The rule of thumb is, enough substrate in the tank so if the T fell, it wouldn't fall over 1 1/2 or two times its leg span. So your going to have a bunch of substrate in that 10 gal. tank.

The water dish with rock is a good idea. No cotton.
The water dish will provide enough humidity for a rosey, so you shouldn't need to mist. Misting should be done when your T is in pre-molt though. It help with the molting process.

I'd buy a hide for the T, cause you never know what might be on the wood you find outside. A log hide will only run you a few bucks.

The screen lid on your tank could be a problem if your T gets its claws hooked in it. It could get stuck, hanging by one leg.

With all that said, alot of people use kritter keeper for their spiders. There smaller, have a plastic lid, you don't need so much substrate, lighter to handle, easy to clean. Just a thought.

Then you can use the 10 gal. for the T. blonde you buy soon.LOL

Anyway welcome again,

Ernie

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
All of what ernie said sounds good. In particular, I'd stress the ceiling height, and water issues the most.

One thing I'd add though, is if you really don't want to buy something, you can use something found outside. To be sure of it being free from parasites, mites, and otherwise unwanted hitchhikers, soak it for a half hourish, then nuke it in a microwave until It's really hot, and perhaps starting to dry out. just be very careful that it stays wet, and if you see it cracking or anything in the nuke, stop it immediately.

Bill

pauls

Arachnopeon
Well I took what everyone said into consideration and got a smaller cage. It's a 2.5 gallon tank with a plastic top. The top looks like screen, but the mesh is bigger so no toes will be getting caught in it. I also got a hollow log for the rosie to hide in if it wishes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Paul

Attachments

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Your Rosea is sure a pretty head ! The thorax that is, what a pretty color. You know what bugs me ? People who think roseas are plain or boring. WHAT ? Nuh uh ! What is your subtrate there ?

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Might wanna change that substrate to about 6 inches mix of vermiculate and peat moss(you can buy bags of it for cheap), in case it wants to burrow.

-V

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pauls, where did yo u get that cage top? i Have one 2.5 gal tank like that but for the life of me i cant find any more.

Mark

pauls

Arachnopeon
I don't think my rosie wants to burrow. Ever since I put it in the tank, it immediately started climbing the walls. I tried putting it on the ground near the log burrow, but it insisted on climbing back up. I'll try peat moss later on. As for the top, I found it at the pet store where I got my spider from. It's a small animal/gardening place in the metro detroit area in michigan.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pauls,
Most T's will climb the walls of a new enclosure for a day or so. I don't know why, but they do.
Then they tend to settle down to the surface.:)

Ernie

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Your T is just exploring, and determineing its boundaries. After a few days, just like Mr. T said, it will settle down and you notice it climb alot less and pick favourite spots around the cage. Those are my observations anyways.

Mark

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had that wallclimbing too, it seems as if they don't like to touch the vermiculite very much, it sticks to their feet. Mine settled down when it had laid a mat of webbing on the surface. I have a lava rock in my rosie enclosure, and that's what she's usually resting on. I'd too suggest using some peat mixed with vermiculite.
ow, and one more thing: might well be that someone else has another opinion about this, but the water dish seems a bit big, I think crickets could well drown in that.
Beautiful rosie, very bright pink!
Greetz,
Joost

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It doesnt look like it can get under that hide, not dig a deep enough one with the substrate alotted. Perhaos you could put a side of the bark up against the side of the cage to create a little shelter or add a couple inches more substrate.

Mark

pauls

Arachnopeon
The picture is misleading; it can get under the log just fine. I purposfully put less substrate under the log the spider would generally be below the normal substrate level. I'll just wait and see how the spider likes it's home for the next couple days. If it doesn't move from the wall for a while, I'll probably mix some peat moss in there. I've been keeping an eye on the crickets as well. I plan to remove them in 24 hours if not eaten. I've already seen a few crickets fall in the dish, but they somehow found their way out.

-Paul

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

If you ask for advice only to reject it then why ask in the first place? In general the wallclimbing will signify either a new container to explore or that its uncomfortable on the substrate in some way. If it was my T, i would give it a minimum of 3 inches of substrate, regardless of what you use. I would change the crescent wood hide to corkbark and add a pothos vine or other such item to enhance the display. Not to mention if it climbs those walls and takes a fall then its abdomen will burst like a day old paintball.

-V

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heya! Welcome :) That is a gorgeous G.rosea there! Congrats and welcome to the hobby...Believe me once you get one it does not stop!