New G pulchra, enclosure questions! Pls help

Puddlesngramps

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!

This morning I unpackaged my second ever tarantula, a 1.5” Grammostola pulchra. I am so excited, but I am a little stressed that I am doing something wrong!
The enclosure I bought for it is on the way and is getting here tomorrow. It’s a 6x4x4 tarantula cribs slider cribs enclosure. Does this sounds okay? I am using reptisoil that I’ve dumped through a sifter to get rid of pieces that could hurt the little guy.
for tonight I have it in a 4x4x4 inch tarantula cribs cube. Is it an okay/good idea to rehouse tomorrow when the slider crib comes?

Here is my main problem: the substrate is definitely damp. it’s straight out of the reptisoil bag so it hasn’t had time to sit and dry out which I guess I should have done a week ago but I wasn’t thinking.
what should I do? Is a 1.5” pulchra okay on damp substrate for a little while?

Also, she came to me quite thick with a big booty, so should I avoid feeding her until she ends up molting.

Thank you guys in advance!

Attachments

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Given that your enclosure has decent ventilation meaning the top of the substrate would dry out in a few days, it probably would be fine in there.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
It's fine, looks good. Slings don't mind a little moisture in the substrate. I'd keep offering it food until it stops eating, which might be sooner rather than later. Just offer smaller prey items a little further apart and it'll keep eating for you.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
You and your T will be fine. My first T was a 1.25 “ G. Pulchripes and lived in my 4 inch cube for quite a while. Your new one should work out nicely.

As for the substrate, I have not used that brand but I have used Creature Soil and I can’t imagine yours being too damp out of the bag. Your Brazilian Black may climb the walls at first any way so the substrate over time will dry out naturally as was stated above.

I Keep my substrate dry, but G. pulchra comes from the grasslands where I understand there are periods of rain.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
In my opinion you did everything right, but next time please press the earth in firmly. The animals like solid ground and then digging is a better experience...

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
T will be fine. Let substrate dry and then every now and then over fill the water dish to moisten one corner

Puddlesngramps

Arachnopeon
T will be fine. Let substrate dry and then every now and then over fill the water dish to moisten one corner
will it be okay if I switch her to the new enclosure tomorrow? I think it’ll be a more appropriate size and the lid will be attached better but I don’t want to stress her too much or anything

Puddlesngramps

Arachnopeon
You and your T will be fine. My first T was a 1.25 “ G. Pulchripes and lived in my 4 inch cube for quite a while. Your new one should work out nicely.

As for the substrate, I have not used that brand but I have used Creature Soil and I can’t imagine yours being too damp out of the bag. Your Brazilian Black may climb the walls at first any way so the substrate over time will dry out naturally as was stated above.

I Keep my substrate dry, but G. pulchra comes from the grasslands where I understand there are periods of rain.
Thank you this was really helpful I appreciate it a lot!

Puddlesngramps

Arachnopeon
In my opinion you did everything right, but next time please press the earth in firmly. The animals like solid ground and then digging is a better experience...
Okay, I tried doing this but thought if I packed it too tight it might make it too hard to dig? I’ll do better

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
will it be okay if I switch her to the new enclosure tomorrow? I think it’ll be a more appropriate size and the lid will be attached better but I don’t want to stress her too much or anything
You can move it over to the new one. Better to do it now rather than let it get settled in and then move it. Don't worry about the sub being packed too hard - they can dig into it regardless!

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Here it is:
Ah, thanks! That's definitely not necessary...🤣
Bigger wood pieces aren't aggressive at all.
As written several times... There are even spiders that survive in the wild without any human caretakers... unbelievable.
No seriously. You can leave large parts alone, that only gives the animal more opportunities to settle down. A lot of people buy that extra and don't discard it.

Still alive, never attacked by evil roots 😉.
PXL_20230314_112045284.jpg

I only fix stones that have no direct contact to the ground...

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
As written several times... There are even spiders that survive in the wild without any human caretakers... unbelievable.
No seriously. You can leave large parts alone, that only gives the animal more opportunities to settle down. A lot of people buy that extra and don't discard it.

View attachment 442179

What is with the wood chips in there? I am surprised by this from you, as those don't allow for burrowing down behind the cork bark in the back.

Puddlesngramps

Arachnopeon

View attachment 442179

Aren’t wood chips not recommended especially for this species?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
What is with the wood chips in there? I am surprised by this from you, as those don't allow for burrowing down behind the cork bark in the back.
You should look in the details... There are 10cm of soil, then some chips for decoration... And yes, they dig through 1cm of chips to reach the soil without any problem...