New Fire Skink

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys/gals,

Picked this one up on Black Friday:

If anyone has kept these, I wouldn't mind seeing pics of your skinks :)
Any tips that have given you success in keeping these that aren't typically found in care sheets are welcome--enjoy!

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is nice looking Riopa you have there! I absolutely love skinks, they are great pets and fairly long lived, these in particular can live over 15yrs and get to be a pretty good size as far as skinks go. Most care sheets I have found are pretty dead on, just keep them on about 4-8in of bedding as they like to burrow and they will also occasionally climb onto low branches to soak up a bit more heat. Keep one side of the enclosure pretty moist and the other side use a UVA/UVB bulb and keep it kinda dry and around 75-85F. They will eat nearly everything you put in front of them and make great pets, I hope you enjoy the little fella!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gorgeous! I look forward to getting skinks at some point.. they look like a lot of fun!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Ohh...nice markings. I was thinking about getting a BTS but that is sweet!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep,now I want one..That thing is awesome!

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have one and it's pretty awesome, I could never handle mine though, it likes to bite and twist the skin like its trying to tear it off. It has an outstanding feeding response though, and they can jump surprisingly high despite its little legs. I love skinks, I'm at work right now but I'll add a picture of ours when I get home.

Edit: Here's ours:

Cass

Last edited:

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Toe Cutter. They sure love to burrow lol

arachnidsrulz12: Yes, I couldn't refuse buying it at the store :D I don't know the sex though.

Mack&Cass: wow, yours seems very feisty! Mine has never tried to bite me, but it can definitely squirm. I didn't know these guys could jump, curious to see it now :) Cool skink, by the way. It has a nice bronze color.