New Emperor Died

Kildrae

Arachnopeon
I got my first scorpion a little over a week ago. She was an emperor and from a local pet store. I tried to find one elsewhere, but my searches failed and even with the stores I had to special order a scorpion.

She was moving around the cage and seemed healthy. She didn't eat much, if anything. Although the past few days I thought she was eating a little. I kept the heat around 80-85 and the humidity was 80-90%. About two inches of substrate to burrow in, plus a log hide. Shallow water dish.

I thought I was doing everything right? Did a bunch of research to make sure everything was right. Did I do something wrong or was it just an unhealthy pet store pet?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I got my first scorpion a little over a week ago. She was an emperor and from a local pet store. I tried to find one elsewhere, but my searches failed and even with the stores I had to special order a scorpion.

She was moving around the cage and seemed healthy. She didn't eat much, if anything. Although the past few days I thought she was eating a little. I kept the heat around 80-85 and the humidity was 80-90%. About two inches of substrate to burrow in, plus a log hide. Shallow water dish.

I thought I was doing everything right? Did a bunch of research to make sure everything was right. Did I do something wrong or was it just an unhealthy pet store pet?
Seems like you did everything, really well too. The only thing is that I would add more than two inches (about 3 or 4 would be about right). She might have just have been old. I don't think that you did anything wrong, don't worry.;):D

Better luck next time, I guess.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah it might have been a random death too :(

Was the stinger red or still milky white? If its red then it was an adult and could of been old age

EDIT

almost all pet stores have a 15-30 return policy so you might be able to get another one or your money back.

Kildrae

Arachnopeon
Another couple inches was on the to do list. Didn't figure that'd kill though. The store I bought from doesn't have a return policy for reptiles (and anything non-mammal). :(

Everything about her looks normal, she's just flat. Stinger was still in the normal position, except flat to the side of her. Still curled just a little bit.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My advice: don't buy your next one from a pet store and as with any animal: make sure you have the housing ready and up to requirements before you buy. Two inches of substrate doesn't kill but it's far from enough.

Find someone who breeds emps as a hobby and purchase one from him/her. I recommend to buy a juvenile so you can see it grow and it will last longer (if you take good care of it).

Pet shop scorpions are often kept wrong in the shop, stressed, mislabeled, etc.