New Curley Hair Tarantula laid egg sac

Jennaf027

Arachnopeon
I am new to the hobby and recently brought my fourth Tarantula which is a Curly hair 2 weeks ago I had put her in a temporary tank that was more suitable for an arboreal tarantula so I brought a 10 gallon terrestrial enclosure for her and 4 days ago I rehoused her into the new enclosure the 1st night I moved her she went to the log behind her hide and webbed herself in and day 2 of her being in the new enclosure she laid a sack I'm shocked and don't really know what to do any advice would be much appreciated!

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
you can offer her prekilled food, but i would try not to disturb her too much so maybe once a month is enough, you dont have to though

most likely, if she is a young female, she may have produced a "phantom sack", basically an infertile

in essence you can leave it with her for about 30-90 days

if you are lucky it is viable and if it is not she may eat it or discard it sometime during this period, if you notice that you can take it out to discard after an inspection

you can even leave it longer until the spider opens the sack on its own for the little spiderlings to come out, collecting them then is a bit difficult though

Jennaf027

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the information I am new to keeping tarantulas so I am not really sure about all the do's and don'ts at this point

cold blood

Staff member
!. remove the water dish

2. Dont try to feed, it

3. Do nothing but dampen the sub a little and just wait 30-45 days, at that time you can pull the sac to see if its viable. If its a phantom sac either she will eat it or there will be no progress in the 30-45 days you wait.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
4. Send me some babies
They really are one of my favorites as slings and juveniles for the fact that they are little bulldozers. Every single one I had would plow through the substrate until they hit about 3”.