New Chilobrachys from Sri Lanka

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Saw this floating around the FB groups. Gorgeous T. If it does make its way into the hobby, hopefully it does so by legal means, but let's not hold our breaths on that one.

ThorsWebb

Arachnopeon
Saw this floating around the FB groups. Gorgeous T. If it does make its way into the hobby, hopefully it does so by legal means, but let's not hold our breaths on that one.
Then just show the world that we as a AB group is for spiders and not want them to get extinct in nature. Let's keep track of any seller that will have them for sale!

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Then just show the world that we as a AB group is for spiders and not want them to get extinct in nature. Let's keep track of any seller that will have them for sale!
If they go extinct (hopefully not), then it would be because of their forrest cutted down, no because of poachers...
(Not advocating poaching, but in case of inverts, it is neglectable compared to habitat loss.)

ThorsWebb

Arachnopeon
If they go extinct (hopefully not), then it would be because of their forrest cutted down, no because of poachers...
(Not advocating poaching, but in case of inverts, it is neglectable compared to habitat loss.)
I basicaly agree with you. But this argument is more often used as an excuse rather than to actually put some effort into stop the deflorisation (or similar). If we really want those speices not to go extinct we should simply not buy them and put those money into nature reserve projects instead. Is it perfect? Of course not! But the question is if you use this as an excuse for not doing something?

We want, We buy. We go extinct.

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I am not saying he is unquallified. Just that publishing in own paper, not always but often, means that work woldnt be possible to be published anywhere else. He actually may be the most quallified out of trio. While there are some great taxonomists even without formal education, those are exceptions, and sorry but I am not impressed by two students. Maybe they should have consulted with some of their profesors...
I have had the same impression on why some publish their taxonomic papers in the BTS journal. I always figured if one has a weak manuscript, just publish it in the BTS journal because no one else will. There is definitely a difference in the quality of work published in the BTS journal compared to the academic journals.

In your opinion though, is it better to publish a new species description, even if the paper is weak, just to get it done or is it better to hold off for years and publish with better quality research?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The quality of work that is accepted is up to the source to determine. People are often going to take the easy way out and, if someone is prepared to publish their substandard work, that is what is going to happen. I would hope that members of the BTS would advise on revising some of the more glaring issues with the paper. Just because it is a hobby journal doesn't mean that they can't have decent publishing standards.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
For what it's worth, the end of the paper says, " The editor and the authors would like to extend their sincere gratitude to Richard Gallon for his peer review of this paper"

Later, Tom

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I feel that one of the reasons keeping tarantulas is so fun is the fact that new species are still being discovered on a frequent basis. I didn't get that excited about species with reptiles. When it comes to science, there is so much left to be discovered with tarantulas.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice find. too bad only females are pretty.

This was interesting

of the 593 spider species currently identified on the island, 108 were described within the last two decades. The only guide to Sri Lankan spiders was published more than a century ago, he adds.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
It would be interesting to have full name numbered lists of both described and undescribed tarantula species to have an exact count of species.

Petross

Tarantulaholic
Arachnosupporter
Very nice new species, but this name is really not the easiest one :-D