New centipede

Ridoo

Arachnopeon
Hi Christian,

I guess it's a south american species?

Ringfurrow and 5 sparsely hirsute antenna segments - It can be S. galapagoensis. Can you get detailed photos of the teeth, prefemur of the legs, sternites and medially legs/terminsl legs?

René

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@ first sight I would also guess galapagoensis, some more pictures of details would help. Very nice picture and specimen btw!:drool:

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Steven, hi Rene,

it is very very exciting. In my opinion it is something between Scolopendra gigantea, Scolopendra galapagoensis and Scolopendra gigantea weyhrauchi.

I will post detailed pics as soon as possible as well as another specimen with totally different colours....

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
S. galapagoensis and S. gigantea weyrauchi are synonymous as far as i know, so judging on the keys between gigantea and galapagoensis it's more likely to be galapagoensis no ? :?

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes that`s right. Shelley brought together Sc. gig. weyhrauchi and galapagoensis.

My new specimen have taxonomical characteristics that fit to both - such as the specimen which were called "Scolopendra gigantea robusta", but differ a bit from this....

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
My new specimen have taxonomical characteristics that fit to both
mmm, i think that's normal for every specie out there no ?:?

even a Sc.polymorpha has some taxonomical keys that are equal to other specie, like the ringfurrow for an example,... it's important to follow the keychain and focus on the differences, not only the description tmo

I will post detailed pics as soon as possible as well as another specimen with totally different colours....
please do :} for now i only know of 2 colorforms of galapagoensis, the orange form (banded or not) and the darker brown form, i'm sure there are plenty other forms out there.

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't know why, but I'm always hate opening your topics called "new centipede" :p
I'm jealous!

Xenomorph

Arachnosquire
Hello,

I would say galapagoensis at first glance. As he looks and the features of the very early mistakenly called white S.gigantea spec. "robusta" is similar.

cheer
Sandro

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO opinin both of them are galapagoensis; abviously according the taxonomical details you have exposet in pictures...

Nice adition!

P.D: maybe galapagoensis is one of the more variable in colourness inside genus scolopendra. Red, black, brow, blue-grenish, stripped non stripped... My favourite!