new centipede

el feo grande

Arachnopeon
hello everyone, I'm new here because I just got my first centipede today. I looked through your care sheets and gallery but didn't find any referance to the type of centipede I was sold,
a "Vietnamese Giant". I've been buying scorpions from this guy years and he has never intentionaly mislead me. Is it a new item in the traid? Or did my guy just get the name wrong?
The critter in question is red/brown, with a cream under side and orange legs. It's about 10" long, and growing. It is also very agressive and as fast as anything I have ever seen. can anyone share any tips or secrets to keeping this " guy" healthy and happy??
Thanks
el feo

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
As Code Monkey said, you probably have a Scolopendra subspinipes. I haven't been able to post any pictures of this pede yet as I've been kinda lazy and the site has been having a few problems recently with DDOS attacks that have kept me from working on it. They are kept like any other tropical species of pede. Humid and warm. In the tank I keep mine in, this is accomplised by:
  • Having it over my computer monitor for added heat
  • Overfilling the water dish to keep the humidity up by soaking the substrate a bit
  • Keeping some green moss in the tank. It's very good for keeping the humidity up when it's moist.
    [/list=a]

They're one of the nastier pedes out there. Make sure you have it in a secure enclosure at all times and you should be fine :)

Scott

el feo grande

Arachnopeon
thanks

thank you gentelmen,
i looked it up as CM advised and sure enough, thats what it is.
since i have no way of telling it's gender i'm making an executive decision and declairing it a male ;) . he is warm, 80 - 85, and secure, 4 large lid clamps that i need a screw driver to remove.
again , thanks
el feo grande