New Boa Pics.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While I will give you that there are quite a few folks against it it is far from what I would call a consensus. But then again everyone has their own interpetation of things and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. There are also those of the opinion that bug spray isn't exactly healthy for the snakes either. While I don't believe it is that bad when used correctly anything used the wrong way can be bad news.

Just because Irwin doesn't think folks should keep them doesn't mean he doesn't know how. That statement doesn't hold water. I agree that he is a bit on the showboat side but to deny his knowledge is ignorance based on a percieved image of him and not factual in any way.

And fear not I haven't had to oil anyone up in many moons although wouldn't hesitate to do so if needed. I prefer not to bring mites in to start with but given enough time it is something that everyone will have to deal with eventually.

Phil

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are most certain.....my opinion is that oil is a stupid way to treat mites......I also think Steve Irwin is a moron. And thats just what they are....opinions. :D =D

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow,
This has been a good debate.;)
I've never been call stupid so much in my life.:rolleyes:

The snake seems to be fine today. No wheezing , and no live mites that I can find. I found some dead ones, as I was rubbing her down.

This Boa loves to be held. She's the sweetest one I own.
I can hold her head, on top of her skull and under her jaw and she has no problem with it. I've never seen a snake that calm.

I think next time I soak the Boa, I'll use spaghetti sauce. It costs less than oil.
BTW, I used 10w40 weight. But don't worrie, I ran it in my truck for 3000 miles before I soaked the snake in it. ;P
J/K Dave...

I've soaked my large male Boa in oil a few times in the past and never had any shed problems or anything. So, I guess both ways work, but I only have a couple years into keeping snakes.

Thank you both for your replies. :D

Phil, your the man!!
Dave your a good man too.

Ernie

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wasn't calling you stupid, Ernie.....I just think there are better ways to go about treating mites. I'm glad your method worked for you and I hope they don't pop back up again.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by DavidBeard
I wasn't calling you stupid, Ernie.....I just think there are better ways to go about treating mites. I'm glad your method worked for you and I hope they don't pop back up again.
I know that David, Its all good bro.
I'm glad I have you guys to learn from.:)
Thats what makes these forums so cool.

Ern

BTW, I've been spending some time at yours. As you know..;)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok, being the big Irwin fanboy, I'm going to completely hijack this thread for a two or three sentences:

If all you watch is his "Croc Files" and "Croc Hunter" show, of course you'll think he's all show, no knowledge, whatever. If you watch his "behind the scenes" show, Croc Diaries (God, I'm such a loser.), you'll see he's a much more serious person when dealing with his animals and really knows his stuff.

Sorry, had to do it.

I've never had mite problems, but personally I think I'd take Philip's advice first. He's been on this forum longer and has shown that he has a lot of snake knowledge. And, like he said, oil (Which is pretty harmless) would seem a whole lot safer than bathing your animal in a toxic spray.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Threres no question Phil knows what hes talking about.
He always gives thoughtful answers and is willing to help everybody reguardless of their experience level. Without making them feel clueless.

I'm also glad to see what David, Bry, Skinheaddave, \Lelle and you Nick have too say in reguards to our limbless little friends.

And I too really like the Croc. Hunter. :D

Ern