New baby Parabuthus transvelicas (CARE INFO)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
TRANSVAALICUS ** *

Got this little guy today
No bigger than the tip of my finger. Looks like it's a due a molt??

Currently housed with some cocofiber cork bark piece and A fake plant (what I had readily available)

Have some sand /E. clay / little bit of cocofiber mix drying outside I'll put him with after

Store owner said it Hadn't molted in his care yet

Any care info or tips is much appreciated

Attachments

Last edited:

Creepy Crawling Guy

Arachnopeon
Ill give you the advice they all give me

its a scorpion from dry regions so put it in a sand or dry substrate
offer water once every 1 or 2 weeks in a bottle cap
use tongs when doing something inside the enclosure
P.Transvaalicus is highly venomous
it rarely spit venom but to be safe use glasses or goggles
with that size feed it roach nymphs 2 times a week
provide a hide for him to find peace
dont try to hold it
keep it in the ideal temperature
around 25-30 celsius (80-85F)
humidity around 50%

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Perfect
As soon as the sand mix drys I'll re house him. I don't ever intend to self handle. I have 10" rubber tipped tongs ... I'm aware of how "hot" They are. Sounds like they're pretty simple to keep. I'll make sure to actively feed him and provide everything he needs to do well. Thanks for the info

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Same thing for all the ones in my area lol. But this guy is about 35-40 min away. Well worth the drive tho. Hese the only person I can find who has a large variety of scorpio. In a store front. Only cost me $20 No shipping woot

Sir Aculeus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats :) One If my favorites. If you use bottle caps for water be careful. I've had a little one drown in a cap that was too deep even when not full.

I would use shallow bottle caps like the ones from small water bottles (like Poland Springs) . They are much more shallow than soda bottle caps. Or use lids from small deli souffle/cups. When they look like they are ready to molt make sure there is water or add a drop of water in the habitat (to temporarily increase humidity for a day or two) .... It eases the molting process especially when they are babies/juvis!!

Also I'd mix sand and dirt. These guys love to borrow and a dirt/sand mixture is more accurate to where these guys like to build homes in the wild (scrubland and not bone dry desert)

And will just echo what others have said.... *Wear safety glasses!!!!!!!* their venom can blind you.

PS.... I counted 39 pectins in one of your pics.... Could be a female! If so, don't let her go to waste! Get your hands on a male and make some BAYBEHSSSS!!!! :p

Enjoy your new P. Transvaalicus

Last edited:

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I used a water cap and that was EXACTLY first concern. It's not too full but I'll change it as soon as it I get home lol.
Awesome. Hopefully so on it being a female. I was able to get a magnified shot of the bottom

Last edited:

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Wasn't aware it was a burrower! Lol everyone is see keeps these guys in Sand. I have him in a mix E clay coco fiber and sand . I took a look under his Hide today and he dug about an inch burrow last night he even made a small window I can see him through

Creepy Crawling Guy

Arachnopeon
1 time it cover itself with sand and i panic thinking it escaped the enclosure and yeah it loves to dig every time i go to check on him he is either digging or climbing rocks

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I've only seen mine climb all over it's fake bush. He sits there 98% of the time. But apparently he might have just settled in waking up to a good size hole under his Hide

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Came home today and he dug a bit deeper =] when I set him in the enclosure the hide only had a small pre started indentation. Now hese pushed it back to the wall and started curving towards the right. He even created windows for me lol exactly how you see it is how he made it I did not created the windows

Attachments

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Woke up this morning and hese now starting to chamber!!! I've never seen a sling burrow so much. Every post I see on these guys they are in normal sand . Not burrowing substrate

Attachments