New B. emilia, not eating/moving

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought a B. emilia about a week ago and it hasn't moved or eaten since I've gotten it. It's abdomen is extremely fat and has a pretty large bald spot on his back. It was in a KK at the petstore that i got it at and it only had enough substrate to cover the bottom, four medium sized crickets that were way too big for it, no hide, and absolutely no source of water. Here's a pic of it on the first day I got it before it turned all pet rock on me.

Last edited:

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it's not a molt and it's just full, how long should I wait to offer food again (it's currently about an inch from toe to toe)?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You more then likely will not have to feed again until a molt is completed. She looks nice and fat.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My L. parahybanas butt looks like that...he/she has been holed up 2 weeks.

kin-inam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What it needs is time to process all the nutrients so it can grow and begin to go in to pre molt stage. It would probably take 2-3 weeks.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it doesn't look like it will molt right away, the abdomen is not dark enough. i'm not surprised it doesn't eat, it is quite fat and they don't tend to be very excessive eaters. most likely it won't need food before its next molt. son't worry and don't stress it out. those are pet rocks, it won't change that behaviour much.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nope, a molt does not look imminent but it sure does not need to be fed again. mine is in the same state. it has a huge abdomen. i do not plan on feeding it again till it molts. it is quite full.

thwarts

Arachnopeon
I got myself a little B.Emilia just before new year and its a little fatty!!!! Never turns down food and I've now had to restrict it's food as i realised I've been power feeding. Too much is not good i guess! When I first got it, it used to hide in its burrow quite a lot but since it molted its been out and about more.

usher23

Arachnopeon

dont worry, my emilia has not eaten for a month now its seems to busy digging or chillin in its hide, my runs off when i put food in

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good eye anyone who called a molt. She just molted and is at least twice as big as she was before.... especially her legs, they're huge!!!!!!

Quick question though, how long should I wait to feed her? Does two weeks sound about right?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Two weeks is perfect....... I wait 7-10 days offer food and if its not taken quickly I remove and try again the following week.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my smaller spids normally take food a week after a moult. they chase it round their enclosures lol nice spider! congrats! :D

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's the post molt pic... as promised:D :clap: :D What a difference!

Last edited:

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow! :clap: Very nice. What's the new size? Sorry to repeat if you have already posted this.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I might be seeing things but that looks more like a smithi....................

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its just under two inches long now. It was actually sold to me as a smithi but, if you look at the premolt pic, you can clearly see the distinct black V on his back which means emilia. It's confusing though because I admit, that if i didn't know better, I'd say it was a smithi too. Could i be wrong?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I dont see that marking anymore and the leg markings are also not that of an emilia............Thats a smithi.......