New Australian Tarantula - The Rattle Snake Tarantula

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would be more worried about the spiders or jelly fish or snakes there than myrmecia pilosula. people recover very quickly from the ant if treated properly. it is the same allergic reaction experienced by people who are allergic to honey bees.

speaking of myrmecia, there are some amazing species. check this site out

http://www.myrmecos.net/ants/myrmecia.html

myrmicia nigrocincta is my favorite

the bullet ant (paraponera clavata) is from latin america. it is said to have the most painful sting (being compared to being shot by a gun).

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
They are here, at this moment I have , stents, eunice, sarina black and the blueleg. I have one more but at this time I can't recall it.
Crassipes is also here in the states.
These guys seem to be high strung and very cool tarantulas, The young are very leggy . They seem to burrow a lot . Cool tarantulas

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are here, at this moment I have , stents, eunice, sarina black and the blueleg. I have one more but at this time I can't recall it.
These guys seem to be high strung and very cool tarantulas, The young are very leggy . They seem to burrow a lot . Cool tarantulas
i have all of these aswell, very kewl to raise....def wanna get one of those rattlers whenever they appear..

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Even the jack-jumpers? I heard on TV that they're super aggro with a nasty sting that a LOT of people are allergic to. The same show said that (african?) bullet ants still have the most powerful sting tho'.
I'm not allergic to it, so sting away Jack-jumper. Plus they live in Tasmania, I'm in Queensland hahaha. The allergic reaction is easily overcome with adrenalin. Most ants etc are dangerous if you're allergic to them.

i would be more worried about the spiders or jelly fish or snakes there than myrmecia pilosula.
yeah so would I.

Are you positive there's only one known specimen?
Yeah I'm almost certain. It was found and it was a big deal that it was a new genus (how often do you discover totally new genera?) so there isn't exactly one in every collection hahaha

Yep those are all the 'common' pet species and they've made it overseas. These rattlers wouldn't be there for a while I'd reckon, but Steve would know the most. (And Brendan if he is a member of this site)

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking, if you only have one specimen, might it not be the only one. You know, like a genetic freak. If you tried to determine the vocal range of humans and the only specimen available was Mariah Carey your data would be insufficient.

If Mariah is reading this, I mean no offense.:) Call me.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm thinking, if you only have one specimen, might it not be the only one. You know, like a genetic freak. If you tried to determine the vocal range of humans and the only specimen available was Mariah Carey your data would be insufficient.

If Mariah is reading this, I mean no offense.:) Call me.
The stridulation isn't the only different characteristic this T posseses - hence it is a new genus.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The stridulation isn't the only different characteristic this T posseses - hence it is a new genus.
If it has 16 legs and speaks german, if you only have one specimen that is not proof of a new species. Now don't get me wrong I think there is the strong possibility that this is a new species. But one specimen is not proof of a new genus/species.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What are the others? I'm quite interested in this...
I don't know nearly enough about the taxonomy of Aussie Ts to tell you that.. I'm just going by what I've been told by people who know what they're on about.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know nearly enough about the taxonomy of Aussie Ts to tell you that.. I'm just going by what I've been told by people who know what they're on about.
Can you get them to tell you in more detail, then tell us?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Steve has made several posts on the aussie forum....

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Penny’s Mom: “I pulled this from the quote syndicate gave. I find it rather amusing that a T can be enraged by a bad regeneration, to the point of spitting venom.”

Well if oneday, I found that my knee was badly deformed, I'd be pretty angry about it too!

opticle

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
drace.....before you start getting ignorant that is not a link to the rattle snake T, it is another species.... there isen't a book written about it yet so just be patient and info will come to you;P

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
drace.....before you start getting ignorant that is not a link to the rattle snake T, it is another species.... there isen't a book written about it yet so just be patient and info will come to you;P
Steady on... I said I THINK (I even put italics on it), because I really didn't know, and spent only 5 minutes searching for it, and that was the first 'new species' thread on that site I could find.

I also realise that, being new, it won't be very well documented. But, to be fair, if it's being labelled as 'new' then there has to be some paper, or journal article, or peer-reviewed something on it. Otherwise, we're all talking about something which is heresay.

So.... with that in mind, do we have anything definative, apart from references to other threads? PhilK seemed to be more connected than most, so that's why I asked about more information.

Is that unreasonable?

opticle

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey Drace...
i thought you meant it in a know-it-all tone, sorry i was mistaken:( i don't like to argue with people so i hope you still wonna be my friend..

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Forensics: “Swifts has about 5 different Australian spiders that stidulate.
I believe the genus is PHLOGIOUS. At least that is what the Aussie T's at swifts are labeled as.”

Yes, Phlogius is but one theraphosid genus in Australia, but certainly not the only one. There is also Selenotypus, Selenotholous, Phlogiellus, and Coremiocnemis. And although no official paper has been released as yet, it looks like this new ‘rattlesnake tarantula’ does indeed belong to a new genus, according to Steve Nunn. Though perhaps if other specimens from this species are collected, this would help confirm these findings. And I assume that papers would be released eventually but it is still very early days. Hmmm….I thought I recall reading on the ATA forum that Steve has come across this species at least once before.

Opticle: “yep i'm pretty sure i read somewhere too they can kill a dog in 5minutes. i don't know if this is true that is just based on what i've read. but also, somewhere i read that someone had puppies and there was a spider in the basket the puppies were in killing them. I think out of 7 puppies only 2 suvived. oh yes and they later found out that it was and Australian tarantula.”

From what Ive read, death in dogs from an Aussie tarantula envenomation
usually occurs in about half an hour.

Rottweil Express: “Sounds like a bag of poo.”

Not according to Brendan who is President of the Australian Tarantula Association and has also studied vetinary science. I don’t know about the dogs being in a basket though. However, Brendan has talked with the dog breeder who saw the tarantula biting her puppies. She had collected the spider and shown it to Brendan who identified it as a Selenotholous Townsville species. The two surviving dogs have renal problems.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hey Drace...
i thought you meant it in a know-it-all tone, sorry i was mistaken:( i don't like to argue with people so i hope you still wonna be my friend..
But of course. Why wouldn't a Kiwi love an Aussie? Especially on April 25th :)

Seriously, though, we haven't seen any information apart from a couple of links to a couple of other threads.

I'd like to know more about if this really is a new species. And how that conclusion is being made.