New Aphonopelma Found!@! *PIC*

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all,
This past weekend I had another opportunity to collect tarantulas. I was in some of the hardest territory to find tarantulas, which is an area full of granite. The t's were scarce and after about 6 hours total collecting I turned up 3 including this T I have never seen before. It came from the lower desert which is usually full of A chalcodes, or A chalcode's look alike. After consulting a friend, and going through some taxonomy books it seems that this species doesn’t or hasn’t been describe before. Here is a pic let me know what you think.

-Brandon-

Attachments

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, I am no help.

Not a lot of distinguishing markings on that guy, are there?

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not really much markings at all, Actually in the right light she appears a dark copper colored green. Maby this pic shows it better.

-Brandon-

Attachments

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow Brandon,
Cool looking Aphonopelma sp.
I've never seen one with that color carapace. It looks bronze.
Very nice. I'll buy one from you, ok.;)

Ernie

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Could this be the "Carlsbad Green" that was collected fairly heavily at last year's ATS conference? If it's not that, it's a YABAA (Yet Another Brown American Aphonopelma - inspired by mycologists common name LBM for Little Brown Mushroom for all those species of nigh indistinguishable features).

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Defentally not a "Carlsbad Green" Never been there+ I cought this yesterday, so I guess it is just a YABAA. But then again, who knows?

Sincerely,

Brandon

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, they're not necessarily restricted to Carlsbad, it was just that was where they were first collected, ergo the name. They're a brown/olive Aphonopelma species so I was tossing out a possibility. If there was actually any money in clearing up tarantula taxonomy, the American southwest could keep people rolling in dough for a couple of decades.

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Code Monkey,
That is a possability thought I doubt it highly, their are many species of darker T's in AZ such as A behlei, A gabeli, and even some A henzi look alikes + many others. I hope that some one will some day get it all sorted out, but remember with 35+ species of tarantulas in AZ alone, not to mention many look alike it could take years to sort out. We can only wait out the long procces.

Sincerely,

Brandon