New AFS ... can he make his own hide?

Heavnsix

Arachnopeon
Intermediate tarantula keeper, was surprised with an Asian Forest Scorp last weekend. He has a gigantic bark piece for his hide, if I remove it, will he just dig his own hole?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Intermediate tarantula keeper, was surprised with an Asian Forest Scorp last weekend. He has a gigantic bark piece for his hide, if I remove it, will he just dig his own hole?
Depends on the type of substrate you have for it, but they can be n00bs sometimes and just sit out in the open stressed out.

Honestly it is a lot easier to give it a piece of cork bark or half log that it can burrow down into, similar to how a Terrestrial Tarantula would. Several inches of moist coco fiber or chemical/pesticide free soil is your best bet.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
They will eventually burrow when settled in. Depending on if your substrate is capable of holding the burrow. They will need atleast 4 -5 inches of substrate to do so. ( if you can provide more... do so) As for the hide it's usually best to have something over the burrow. A log of some sort To create darkness for them. Other wise if they do burrow they will close off their burrowed and you Will rarely see it haha

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
My Heterometrus burrows under his cave. Very skittish and reclusive. Easy get stressed. Don't know if all are like that . But I would give it a place to hide deep substrate and a shallow bathtub. Mine really likes his baths.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
In the uk we have hopper tubs, plastic rectangular tubs with air holes in that your crickets/feeders come in.I cut an entrance into one end of the tub and covered it in substrate and he uses this as a burrow...he doesn't seem
To actually "burrow" at all so I think this is adequate to him.

Reptilesbyrick

Arachnopeon
I keep several inches of coir or other moisture-holding substrate for my AFS and Emperors. I encourage them to burrow by giving them several flat, bark pieces and then they move under it. As long as the substrate is damp and soft enough, they will burrow and it will hold its moisture. Once down, you will seldom see them out except at night. Most of the three species of AFS I keep tend to be shy and a bit more defensive. Enjoy and good luck!

Heavnsix

Arachnopeon
So Dwayne has made a nice little hide the cork bark I laid flat, haven't seen him in 3 days! How long should they go without eating? I usually let my Ts go a few weeks without eating.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
If its an adult try once a week. If younger try 2 - 3 times a week. Will take time to figure out its eating behavior. Trial and error. Depending on the size of feeder as well