New A. bicegoi

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been planning to get this species for a loooong time! Finally I broke down and bought a little 2" baby from Arachnoporium as a gift to me from myself! She's absolutely beautiful and very fuzzy. Sorry no pics because my camera's software disappeared.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have my biceogi now 6 months, she is stunning @ 3" plus!!! GL with your lil bundle of joy. BTW she is on of my sweetest T's.

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A pic of your A. bicegoi

This is a photo of the A. bicegoi I sent you. It was taken in early June. Unless she (hopefully) has molted since I shipped her - she had not molted from the time I took this photo to the time I shipped her.

Sorry about the poor quality shot -

I've been planning to get this species for a loooong time! Finally I broke down and bought a little 2" baby from Arachnoporium as a gift to me from myself! She's absolutely beautiful and very fuzzy. Sorry no pics because my camera's software disappeared.

BinarySpider2

Arachnopeon
Congrads

Congradulations! I think that they are a cool looking Avicularia.

Brick Red Pinktoe

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BinarySpider2

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hate to burst everyones bubble, but there is on Avicularia bicegoi in the hobby... *sigh*

I found this out, from Ray Gabriel, after i bought 2 spiderlings. It's another one to be labelled Avicularia sp.
However, i'm labelling mine Avicularia sp. "Bicegoi" so that im not mixing Avicularia sp. (avic avic) with the "bicegoi" species.

Apparently its a type of avic, given the bicegoi name by dealers so that they make more money on them... They're in the wild, but are not yet in captivity (as far as i know)

Anywayyyyyyyyyyy...

I think they are gorgeous. Can't wait for my spiderlings to grow up. Avics fascinate me! :D Beautiful lil spiders.
Congrats on your new, yummy, great choice of spider.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hate to burst everyones bubble, but there is no Avicularia bicegoi in the hobby... *sigh*
A rose by anyother name would still smell as sweet. I really doesn't matter, whatever this T is, as you say, its beautiful, its in the hobby, and until its sorted out (if ever:( ) it is the current biceogi that is available.

I have a 3" babe and plan on getting another, I like this biceogi impersonator:)

Last edited:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
That's why pretty much all Avicularia in captivity should be labeled 'sp.' :)

-Sean

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not all. minatrix, laeta, versicolor, peru purple etc are the real jobby. Dealers and pet shops bugger everything up.

But warpig is right..... they're gorgeous anyway. One of my favourite genus' of them all!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
about 4months back i got 2 lg female "bicegoi" in the mail,well they weren't them at all they are more like metallica,but i still just call them avic.sp. luckly i didn't pay alot for them,when i told them they were not what they were,they said that's what the people told them,where they got them from:? so ya never know with this sp.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Not all. minatrix, laeta, versicolor, peru purple etc are the real jobby.
Wish it were that cut-and-dried. Sadly, it isn't. Imports, exports, locality confusion, dealer labeling, marketing, captive breeding, hobbyist error, all this has truly ruined the Avic genus. While in Europe, you may have the luxury of species being examined by experts, and have kept your species clean, over here.. they have been lost. And when the long awaited revision of the genus Avicularia occurs, it will all change anyway.

-Sean

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Avicularia spp.

I just wanted to let you know that no bubble was busted on this end. I believe that the photo I posted and the Avicularia spp. 'Bicegoi' I sold her was priced at $50-$60 for a specimen over or around 2"+. This is equal to or less than an A. minatrix or A. versicolor at this size would sell for. Just clarifying that I do not pull that "high priced scam" game.

Rick West advised that A. bicegoi was not a scientific name as of yet. When captive breeding occurs, the species will be labeled correctly.

Just wanted to state that for the record ... I don't scam or charge a high price for anything simply 'just because I can'. :embarrassed:

Hate to burst everyones bubble, but there is on Avicularia bicegoi in the hobby... *sigh*

I found this out, from Ray Gabriel, after i bought 2 spiderlings. It's another one to be labelled Avicularia sp.
However, i'm labelling mine Avicularia sp. "Bicegoi" so that im not mixing Avicularia sp. (avic avic) with the "bicegoi" species.

Apparently its a type of avic, given the bicegoi name by dealers so that they make more money on them... They're in the wild, but are not yet in captivity (as far as i know)

Anywayyyyyyyyyyy...

I think they are gorgeous. Can't wait for my spiderlings to grow up. Avics fascinate me! :D Beautiful lil spiders.
Congrats on your new, yummy, great choice of spider.

BGBYTOY

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm a little lost here,

If these aren't the real thing then what is? and what are these really?

As everyone says these are gorgeous and are absolutely on my "have to have" list. along with a lot of other Avic. species.

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here are two links on Ricks page which appear similar:

http://birdspiders.com/archive/35BC4165G3048G23A9G27C48BBE1970B5F2.html

http://birdspiders.com/archive/15B012D1KD0B7KAEC2K141F2FE963A28273.html

http://birdspiders.com/archive/35BC4165G3048G23A9G27C48BBE1970B5F2.html

When captive breeding occurs, I will play it save and get an ID or go with Avicularia spp.

I'm a little lost here,

If these aren't the real thing then what is? and what are these really?

As everyone says these are gorgeous and are absolutely on my "have to have" list. along with a lot of other Avic. species.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here are two links on Ricks page which appear similar:

When captive breeding occurs, I will play it save and get an ID or go with Avicularia spp.
Senseless.

Would you please enlight me and the rest of the community how you come to the *senseless* idea that "appearing similar" would justify species status?

Would you please advise who is - at least to your opinion - able to run a definitive identification on species level in Avicularia aside from the known "proof" species?

Guess there´s more folks than just me interested in the answer to this q...

S.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Before things get ugly, I don't know why Jason is under the microscope here. Just about any breeder I've ever seen sells that spider right there as a bicegoi. As far as we know, that's what they are for the moment. No one's trying to rip anyone off (unless it was CLEARLY an avic.avic. that was being sold as...I dunno a purpurea or something). This is what the hobby has labeled these for the time being and I see no reason to stop doing so now. We all know the avic. genus is jacked up, but what are you gonna do, sell EVERYTHING as an avic sp.? I think that would screw everything up even more.
LeilaNami, you've got an adorable baby! :D

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Alexis

Thank you. I made no claims to have sent one out for ID - as I received two which I purchased as A. bicegoi and this is what I sold them as, close to the price that I paid for them. I've actually got a link to burst a bubble. Rick West added a photo to his website ... looks quite familiar.

http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/p.php/807

Certainly an awesome Avicularia ... I'd say close to my favorite, A. urticans.

Last edited: