New A. avicularia Thoughts...

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
This guy is a little over three inches. I just bought him from the local pet store for $25(Thought that was a steal). It hasn't been webbing and I didn't know if I had his enclosure set up correctly. I was wondering if yall would have a look at his set up and tell me what I should do differently?

Here is a picture of the T

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It looks pretty good to me, but I would put a larger piece of cork bark in there for him/her to anchor a web to and build a nest around. Something near the height of the container.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You should get rid of that plant pot, or at least turn it completely sideways or right side up. It won't use that as a hide, and it's the perfect place for prey items to hide in and die, the way it is positioned right now.
The wood is a good start, but it looks like the moldy type, and barely reaches halfway up. I would get rid of it in favor of corkbark, or somthing more mold resistant. Make sure it reaches as high as possible.
IME, Avicularia can take a long while to web up. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm also assuming you have some kind of retaining wall on the enclosure itself (not just on the lid) so you can open it up easily for maintenance, etc.

Otherwise it's a good enclosure:clap:

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Thank both of you very much for the feedback. I will take the pot out and find something else to put in place of the stick. Corkbark is hard to find where I live. Do y'all have any other recommendations? I do have a piece of Plexiglas hot glued to the bottom to retain the peat moss. I'm curious if I have it a bit too ventilated because I'm losing humidity too quickly.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank both of you very much for the feedback. I will take the pot out and find something else to put in place of the stick. Corkbark is hard to find where I live. Do y'all have any other recommendations? I do have a piece of Plexiglas hot glued to the bottom to retain the peat moss. I'm curious if I have it a bit too ventilated because I'm losing humidity too quickly.
Corkbark can be bought over the web and sent to you. If that isn't an option, then I would recommend some sort of fake plant. (rinse it well in hot hot hot water) You really want something that spans the vertical area of the enclosure, because Avicularia seem to be addicted to the height. ;)

In the picture you have condensation on that plexi retaining wall, which means it is actually a bit too humid IMO. So, your best route for humidity might be to provide a larger and wider water dish and to block off some of the ventilation on the lid. TKG recommends saran wrap, but we have used clear packing tape (taped from the inside) in a kritter keeper for our emperor scorpions, because we prefer the way that looks. If you do that, the substrate can be allowed to dry out and left that way.

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Corkbark can be bought over the web and sent to you. If that isn't an option, then I would recommend some sort of fake plant. (rinse it well in hot hot hot water) You really want something that spans the vertical area of the enclosure, because Avicularia seem to be addicted to the height. ;)

In the picture you have condensation on that plexi retaining wall, which means it is actually a bit too humid IMO. So, your best route for humidity might be to provide a larger and wider water dish and to block off some of the ventilation on the lid. TKG recommends saran wrap, but we have used clear packing tape (taped from the inside) in a kritter keeper for our emperor scorpions, because we prefer the way that looks. If you do that, the substrate can be allowed to dry out and left that way.
Thank you again. You have posted on every one of my threads thus far. I hope I can pass it on one day. Is the last part of your sig a Modest Mouse quote?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you again. You have posted on every one of my threads thus far. I hope I can pass it on one day. Is the last part of your sig a Modest Mouse quote?
You have species that I have, so I am glad I am able to help. ;)

Yes, it is a Modest Mouse quote. They are my favorite band forever! :D

Unravel

Arachnosquire

whats the best place to buy corkbark online?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whats the best place to buy corkbark online?
We are able to find it locally, so have never bought it online. However, if you run an advanced search for "cork" in the For Sale section of the forum there are sellers there that have it. I know TarantulaCages.com sells it, but I don't know how their prices are. When we buy it, it is sold by the pound.(but my memory is failing me on how much)

I am sure the question has been asked before as well, so a search for "buy" "cork" might bring up some more info for you as well. :)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BeanFarm was reccomended to me a few months back, but I heard it is better to order over the phone. Haven't ordered from them--I found some local places instead. Well, localish.

LLL Reptile also has cork bark in stock. I haven't read any reviews for them though.

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
This may be a silly question, but when I feed this guy, do I just put a cricket or two in the bottom of the enclosure? The T spends all of it's time on the wall of the enclosure, so I don't think I should worry about crickets getting to it. The T still hasn't made a web, so I don't know another way to go about feeding it.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I tong feed my avic. Just take the cricket in tongs, by it's back end, and while it is freaking out and wriggling...put it about an inch in front or an inch in back of the spider. Slowly bring it closer to the spider's legs/abdomen/carapace, and enjoy the show! My avic is an aggressive eater...;)

--Dan

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine is a very aggressive eater as well, that may be in part due to how shrunken it's abdomen was when I got it. It has all but quadrupled if not a little more than that in abdomen size since I got it about 2 months ago. I really recommend these http://www.petco.com/product/108126/Exo-Terra-Silk-Ficus-Jungle-Plant.aspx?CoreCat=LookAhead it doesn't matter where you pick em up at but my avic loves it and has used the leaves as part of it's tube web. I also have a cork bark tube that it entirely ignores I guess it feels very secure in the plant. I like these also cause you can stick em to the side of the enclosure and it will go from the top to the ground. I wouldn't stick it to the top in case the suction cup lets loose from the cage but I haven't had this problem with sticking it o the side yet.

I was sticking to terrestrial until I got this avic. I love it so much I'm anxious to get more arboreal now.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Mine is at around room temp and has a constantly full water dish with some ventilation blocked off with a ziploc bag over the top. I overflow the water dish every time I refill it. I usually like to see a bit of condensation on the side and around my water dish. I moisten the sub every once in a while, but when I do that I take the bag off of the top so it doesn't mold as often. Humidity is always tricky, but I like the way I do it now. I think it works...hopefully ;).

--Dan

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
Just keep it moderately moist, as long as it has a water bowl and humidity above 70 or so it will do great.

One concern though, that looks like grape wood that you are using. it will mold if its kept in moist substrate. I know other users have talked to you bout cork bark but you really do need it to properly keep a humid arboreal happy and free of mold and rotting wood.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What should the temp/humidity be at for this T?
Don't fret over specifics with this species. The temps you have your room at already are fine. Have a large water dish full of clean water and you should be good to go. If you feel like it isn't humid enough, block off some ventilation.

About the wood, it is possible to use wood that isn't cork, but you need to keep the area around the spots where it is touching the substrate, dry. Don't mist, that is simply busywork and doesn't really help with humidity.

Here is our Avicularia enclosure. It has wood that is not cork bark, but we have no mold issue because we do what I outlined above. Sadly this enclosure doesn't have a tenant though, and is waiting for little ones to grow into it. :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It'll be fine catching crickets. I always drop mine in the bottom of the container & later i'll see my Avic happily munching. It's fun to actually watch it hunt.

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
I took the wood out and bought http://www.petco.com/product/108126/Exo-Terra-Silk-Ficus-Jungle-Plant.aspx?CoreCat=LookAhead to put in there. I worked out perfectly and now the T has plenty of stuff to climb on and hopefully web around. I feed it yesterday with some tweezers and it took a cricket. I'm gonna get some tongs this afternoon when I get off of work. I'm also going to try the saran wrap method to close up some of the ventilation in hopes that I can get the humidity up to around 70%. Thank yall for all of the helpful posts!