Never seen this spider in MI before!

Drayve85

Arachnopeon
Hello, I’m new here. Just register to ask about this spider, because it’s so out of the norm of what I usually see here in northern Michigan. I’m not a spider dude, damn near an arachnophobic!lol I don’t like them, wish I NEVER come into contact with them, I’m not too scared of small ones tho. BUT! I think they are BEAUTIFUL creatures! That’s why I’m here asking about this one it looks like those GIANT monstrosities they have in Central and South America, but green!! Like I said, I’ve never seen one like this ever, where I live. Does anyone know what it is, and if it’s a native species and I’ve just never seen, or noticed one?? Any help is appreciated! IMG_8446.jpeg IMG_8447.jpeg IMG_8449.jpeg IMG_8448.jpeg IMG_8450.jpeg IMG_8451.jpeg IMG_8446.jpeg IMG_8447.jpeg IMG_8449.jpeg IMG_8448.jpeg IMG_8450.jpeg IMG_8451.jpeg IMG_8446.jpeg IMG_8447.jpeg IMG_8449.jpeg IMG_8448.jpeg IMG_8450.jpeg IMG_8451.jpeg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Odd it is out at this time of year. It probably won't eat. Torpor time but warm indoors it may. Best move is leave it alone if indoors and see how active it is. Ideally, after the thaw, release it in an overgrown area next to a pond or stream.

Trivia; Mom nature's front line professional mosquito catchers. Loves to make webs over quiet water and nail preggo mosquitos when they go to lay eggs,

Odd, people's personal takes on spiders. I find them absolutely adorable. Niche problematic insect hunters extraordinaire. Of course, completely harmless as far as humans go.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Odd it is out at this time of year. It probably won't eat. Torpor time but warm indoors it may. Best move is leave it alone if indoors and see how active it is. Ideally, after the thaw, release it in an overgrown area next to a pond or stream.

Trivia; Mom nature's front line professional mosquito catchers. Loves to make webs over quiet water and nail preggo mosquitos when they go to lay eggs,

Odd, people's personal takes on spiders. I find them absolutely adorable. Niche problematic insect hunters extraordinaire. Of course, completely harmless as far as humans go.
After becoming interesting in springtails and mites, I’ve been looking outside more than ever here in NC in the dead of winter and had never thought there would be so much spider life out right now. Yesterday I found a baby Dolomedes on a tree, mature male Linyphiids, Lycosids, an ant mimic salticid, etc. spiders are active in the winter when it heats up above freezing, not as common to find but they are certainly still doing their spidey things still.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
They seem to be a lot more temperature tolerant than people think.

Drayve85

Arachnopeon
Thanks you for identifying it for me! I was surprised to see a spider out this time of year, also! But, I found it by the dryer vent outside, which was on, so there was some warm moist air being pumped out and the sun was out somewhat, so I’m wondering if that’s why. It’s been high 30’s here lately, so it’s cold, but not too cold.

I suppose I’ll just let him back outside tomorrow during the day, because I have no idea how to keep him alive til spring!lol nor, do I know if I’d want to.haha thank you all, again, for the help!