Never seen this before...

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When I first fed my Zebra she started dragging her bum all over the place. She was webbing the substrate in what looked like a placemat. She only does it in one place. My smithi never does this, and my roseas never did that I can remember.

Also, does anyone have a Zebra that won't stop eating? My smithi's been hungrier lately, but the seemanni just won't stop eating. It's cool, don't get me wrong. I was just wondering if this is common of the species?

N.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, that's normal. The T is making a silk "wrapper" so it can wrap up the prey remains. When your T is done with the cricket (or whatever prey) it will make a tidy little package called a food bolus. We call it the feeding dance. It's really cute to watch the little s'lings do it, they really get down! LOL!
Chances are that if you watch long enough you'll notice your other T's doing it too.

See ya..

Atrax

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Yeah, that's normal. The T is making a silk "wrapper" so it can wrap up the prey remains. When your T is done with the cricket (or whatever prey) it will make a tidy little package called a food bolus. We call it the feeding dance. It's really cute to watch the little s'lings do it, they really get down! LOL!
Chances are that if you watch long enough you'll notice your other T's doing it too.

See ya..

Atrax
It crossed my mind, but out of the 8 cricks I've given it yesterday and today there are no remains...

N.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sometimes they are pretty hard to spot. The boluses can blend in pretty good with the substrate. Some of my T's actually use one designated corner where they throw the waste out.

Atrax

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sometimes they are pretty hard to spot. The boluses can blend in pretty good with the substrate. Some of my T's actually use one designated corner where they throw the waste out.
Hey mine do that too! I have a couple of rosies who like to put theirs in the far back corner and leave a neat little pile for me to clean up. :}

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 1/3 size P. regalis who has taken to hanging her food boluses in her webbing.

Looks kind of like ornaments on a christmas tree. ;)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by veronyka
Hey mine do that too! I have a couple of rosies who like to put theirs in the far back corner and leave a neat little pile for me to clean up. :}

Heh, mine too. One day I walked in and found 3 of them piled up in the corner. They're a pain to see sometimes, but if they're a clean spider, you'll notice little piles :p

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joanie
I have a 1/3 size P. regalis who has taken to hanging her food boluses in her webbing.

Looks kind of like ornaments on a christmas tree. ;)
My avic. used to do that. It was kinda cute....I still insist that the spider ate the cricks whole (with the exception of that one leg...), because the substrate is still a bit moist, as I just squeezed the water out and put it in the tank, so I should be able to see it quite well.

N.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! I know what you mean about the one leg. I see those lying around fron time to time. I don't know why but I find it comical. :)
Your T may be a great eater but to the best of my knowlege they cannot digest the chitin in the crix endoskeleton. Your t may be mangling the leftovers to the point of non-recognition or perhaps hiding the remains in it's hide? :? Then again, there's still plenty for me to learn about all this so anything's possible. Keep us posted on the mystery of the prey remains. I'm pretty curious to hear what's happening to them. :p

See ya. :)

Atrax

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, since she's such a good eater, I got her a full dozen cricks today. I've thrown half in, and she's taken down 5 of 6 in less than 2 min. (not including the time it took from cricks to come out of hidernation from the cold trip home). It looks as if she's preparing to make a cricket burrito with her web. I wonder if she'll put all 5 in one, or split it evenly? LoL I shouldn't enjoy this so much.

Seeing as she's taken 11 cricks in the last 3 days, would it be safe to assume I should/could start giving her pinkies? She never stops eating!!! :}

*update*- she took the 6th LoL

N.

Last edited:

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Found remains...

There was more left than just a leg this time. I found the wad of "leftovers" from the 6 cricks yesterday under the half log hide that I've never seen her use. I guess that she uses it for something...

N.