Nephila web

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
During last night my N. clavipes made a kicka$$ web, and exactly where I wanted it to be.
I stayed up to about 3 am watching her make it. It's truly amazing that such a large spider can hang and manouver on such thin threads (but then again, I've read that the silk is about as strong as kevlar). It was really fun to watch her 'float' in the air like she was weightless.
I gave her two crix today, and right now she is devouring the second.
The web seems to work wonders against scuttle flies too, in only one day, about 10 of them got stuck in the web.
I'm in awe of her! :)
greetz,
Joost

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hola, Joost-

Congratulations on finding a solution to your scuttle fly problem...:)

Veni!
Vedi!
Arachni!

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't see the scuttle flies as a real problem (I don't have that many), it's just another unexpected benefit :D

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll make a toast to unexpected benefits, then!:)

Your N. clavipes must be truly awesome, Joost..

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nephila

Glad to hear your N. clavipes is doing well Arachnojoost! The Nephila webs are truely amazing, with giant species such as N. maculata even catching frogs, birds and bats!!

I also agree with John, the catching of scuttle flies is a great bonus!

Alex S.

david

Arachnopeon
well done that man,Orbs are one of my favorite species,may i ask where you got your,clavipes?

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It was at a reptile/arachnid show in Amstelveen, near Amsterdam. I bought it from a german guy, don't know his name, but he had some cool nephila's and argiopes.
greetz,
Joost

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oh wow...I'm so jealous! I got 2 N clavipes in the mail this summer, but neither was able to spin a web, and they both died
:(
They are so beautiful. I will try again next summer though.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's the great advantage of the shows, you can pick one out yourself (and I think it is more exciting to see all this healthy animals for sale, and the ones that don't look too good just aren't sold). The people at the shows are almost exclusively hobbyists (sp?) and not breeding for a living... It's real fun talking to them, because they're probably even more addicted than I am...
greetz,
Joost
p.s. The big advantage of Nephila: you can be pretty sure a large specimen is a female! :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
actually, an online friend sent them to us, it was the end of the summer, and I think they spent too much time in the postal system :(
They were very dehydrated, and just never recovered. They were both very large, one of them was just huge!
I've never seen them at a show, but then, we only have about 2 shows a year here. They weren't at the one last weekend, unfortunately.

david

Arachnopeon
nephila clavipes

if your clavipes lays a sling i would be interested in a pr.