Nematodes?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Really sorry you've had this bad luck. Not much out there on nemotode cures, a lot being experimental, or almost 'old wives tales' territory! I'm linking a post on a saline treatment a keeper claimed to have success with, for your information. Not sure whether it would work, but almost anything is worth trying I guess.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just checked the Ts on the same shelving unit and so far all seems clear. I guess time will tell. I suppose I will euthanize this fimbriatus. She was set to be part of a breeding project in the spring when my males mature so that sucks.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I don't know anything about exotics lair and crickets. Don't watch that. Many years ago tarantula unrelated I learned wild crickets do carry parasites.

One of those being worms. So if you're ever in a survival situation pop the head off pulling the guts out with the head before you cook them and eat them.

So my bad if I thought crickets that are bred for feeders might carry parasites.

This read is an interesting topic, enjoy.

Last edited:

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I don't know anything about exotics lair and crickets. Don't watch that. Many years ago tarantula unrelated I learned wild crickets do carry parasites.

One of those being worms. So if you're ever in a survival situation pop the head off pulling the guts out with the head before you cook them and eat them.

So my bad if I thought crickets that are bred for feeders might carry parasites.

This read is an interesting topic, enjoy.
Well that’s why feeders are bred, haha. Whatever animal it may be, a WC specimen is almost ALWAYS more likely to have parasites than a CB specimen. So while WC Crickets are more likely to have parasites, CB Crickets that are bred as feeders aren’t likely to carry any parasites.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Well that’s why feeders are bred, haha. Whatever animal it may be, a WC specimen is almost ALWAYS more likely to have parasites than a CB specimen. So while WC Crickets are more likely to have parasites, CB Crickets that are bred as feeders aren’t likely to carry any parasites.
Depends where your CB feeders come from. I think the link to the article I posted was rather interesting.

Alot of people start their own feeder colonies. Even still as long as those colonies are kept in shape that's the best option.

Nonetheless where I get my CB feeders I've never had a problem yet. I only use superworms, mealworms and dubia roaches.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@J.huff23 Any updates on the collection?
After this fimbriatus, we had a Nhandu sling pass from the same thing. After another mass sterilization, we decided to switch feeder sources as we didn’t know what else to do. Since this time we have not had one issue. I know there is a debate as to if crickets can carry parasites, and I don’t have an opinion one way or the other, but switching feeder sources to only home raised dubia eliminated this issue completely.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
After this fimbriatus, we had a Nhandu sling pass from the same thing. After another mass sterilization, we decided to switch feeder sources as we didn’t know what else to do. Since this time we have not had one issue. I know there is a debate as to if crickets can carry parasites, and I don’t have an opinion one way or the other, but switching feeder sources to only home raised dubia eliminated this issue completely.
Glad you've managed to nip it in the bud though. Could have been a lot worse.

joossa

Arachnobaron
Where were you getting your crickets from?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
My suspicion is the C fimbriatus brought them with her. She probably caught them from another wild caught tarantula. They seem to spread through collections with the ease that mites do, though probably through other means than physically travelling

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I’m sorry to hear that, but at least it seemingly hasn’t spread to everyone else. And while I highly doubt it was the crickets that gave the nematodes to your T, I don’t blame you for wanting to switch to using a different feeder. We’re all hoping for the best! :)

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I know this thread is from last year, but I've only seen it now.

For further references, I copied three links related to Nematodes, all wrote by Boina.

Boina is a user that knows a lot about tarantulas parasites, I suggest using the search bar with the words Nematodes and Boina in the users, there are a few more threads that might be helpful.

Also, I remember someone wrote a very complete text about nematodes and possible solutions, I couldn't find it though, unfortunately.

Anyways, hope these might be helpful.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the links, I'll be running the searches suggested to read more on this.

The last one briefly mentioned phorid fly larvae, which can certainly pour out of an already sick and dying tarantulas mouthparts, and look very much like a nemotode infection.

My understanding is nemotodes are non segmented, while phorid fly larvae are segmented. Unfortunately, going off the microscope image, the OP on this thread, to my mind, has nemotodes.

Hoping he sent samples for further research to the contact suggested by @AphonopelmaTX .

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
The last one briefly mentioned phorid fly larvae, which can certainly pour out of an already sick and dying tarantulas mouthparts, and look very much like a nemotode infection.
Hi Jess.
Also, accordingly to Boina, which I remember is a microbiologist, Phorid fly larvae are harmless to the tarantula.

Unfortunately, I cant tag her, I don't know why. But I believe if you search in the forum you'll find some of her explanations for this matter too, you'll also might search for molds and mites. :)

Jess S

Arachnobaron
They are harmless, to a certain extent. But there are some circumstances where they can take advantage of a tarantula that's already got something drastically wrong with it. I've definitely seen a video online with microscope imagery where phorid fly larvae could be clearly seen wiggling in and around a sick tarantulas mouthparts. Could easily be mistaken for nemotodes.

I'll try to find that link.

Also remember seeing a post by @chanda regarding phorid flies taking advantage of a juvi (I think) that had lost a leg, by laying their eggs in the socket.

Will try to find those links and post them!

Will definitely do the reading you've suggested, I'm sure to find it interesting. I love this stuff, not sure what that says about me though!!

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Found those links mentioned:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hi Jess.
Also, accordingly to Boina, which I remember is a microbiologist, Phorid fly larvae are harmless to the tarantula.

Unfortunately, I cant tag her, I don't know why. But I believe if you search in the forum you'll find some of her explanations for this matter too, you'll also might search for molds and mites. :)
A statement that phorid flies are harmless to tarantulas is too vague without any context. Phorid flies are most definitely parasites of tarantulas, but mostly in tropical regions. Give the following papers a read for more details. I didn't list them in any kind of order and some are of better quality than others.

Melidone, R. (2007). Tarantula medicine. UK Vet Companion Animal, 12(3), 79-86.
Pizzi, R. (2009). Parasites of tarantulas (Theraphosidae). Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine, 18(4), 283-288.
Marshall, S. D., & Uetz, G. W. (1990). Incorporation of urticating hairs into silk: A novel defense mechanism in two Neotropical tarantulas (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Journal of Arachnology, 143-149.
Machkour-M'Rabet, S., Dor, A., & Hénaut, Y. (2015). Megaselia scalaris (Diptera: Phoridae): an opportunistic endoparasitoid of the endangered Mexican redrump tarantula, Brachypelma vagans (Araneae: Theraphosidae). The Journal of Arachnology, 43(1), 115-119.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but there was a recent interview on another platform with Jacob Schurkman, a graduate student who was working in the lab that identified the parasitic tarantula nematode Tarantobelus jeffdanielsi when it was isolated. In the conversation he mentions that it was somewhat difficult to induce infection in tarantulas experimentally. However crickets were susceptible to nematode infection, and tarantulas that consumed the infected crickets then became infected themselves. The parasitic nematodes were isolated from captive bred tarantula specimens. I also see an abstract that seems to indicate they may be able to infect waxworm larvae as well. Many flies from a trap in the breeding facility where the infected animals originated were examined and found not to have evidence of nematode presence. I feel like there is some super valuable info in this study for tarantula keepers and would like to know if anyone has more info on these studies (Adler Dillman's lab at University of California Riverside) or if any of this ever got published? This nematode induces an infection that ends up paralyzing the tarantulas mouthparts and pedipalps, eventually causing death of the infected animal. Anyone have more info on this? I especially think the info on crickets as a possible transmission vector is quite interesting.
Edit: I found one of their studies, but I can't access the full paper https://bioone.org/journals/journal...ae-a-Nematode-Parasite-of/10.1645/21-42.short

Last edited: