Nematodes & Moss

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just set up a new tank for a Haplopelma lividum and wanting to keeping my pet hole looking attractive, humid, and natural I’ve included live moss from both a recent show and my backyard. While looking at my final result, I noticed two white nematodes in the moss.

Now before everyone freaks and says remove the moss I need you to remember that there are probably at least 9,000 species of roundworms on this planet. There are rumors that they inhabit every living thing. Not all of them harm animals or are parasitic…

Do any of you with natural tank set ups have experience with finding nematodes in your moss and did they lead to problems?

Do you think they are the same nematodes that attack tarantulas?

I will remove the moss from this tank if it seems to be problematic but it looks so good. I captured and removed one… It was white and less than an inch long… I wish I had a microscope to get a better look at home or thought it would live until Tuesday when I return to school.

I’m rehousing a few spiders this weekend and was planning on moss in many of the tanks. I also used it in my new dart frogs… I’m a little concerned.

I'm really hoping that these are harmless roundworms. I see so many other members that have very beautiful tanks with moss. Any help would be appreciated… Thanks, Cheri

elliot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now before everyone freaks and says remove the moss I need you to remember that there are probably at least 9,000 species of roundworms on this planet. There are rumors that they inhabit every living thing. Not all of them harm animals or are parasitic…

<SNIP>

Do you think they are the same nematodes that attack tarantulas?
Don't know. Guess you'll just have to wait and see if they infect your spider.;)

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do any of you with natural tank set ups have experience with finding nematodes in your moss and did they lead to problems?
Generally, those of us with natural set ups clean our materials before we put it in a spider's container.
Yes, there are thousands of different species of nematodes, some are completely harmless to inverts, others are not.
Unless you *know* the species of nematode, you're taking a risk with your spider.

I use alder bark for *all* of my inverts' hides and climbs that I get out of my yard and much of it has live moss on it. I *always* wash the bark in hot water and bake it in the oven at 200 F. for about 20 minutes before putting it in the containers.

Also, know that, while the container looks good right now, unless it has access to natural sunlight, that live moss is going to turn white and eventually die, then it won't look so nice anymore.

Hedrus

Arachnopeon
Generally, those of us with natural set ups clean our materials before we put it in a spider's container.
Yes, there are thousands of different species of nematodes, some are completely harmless to inverts, others are not.
Unless you *know* the species of nematode, you're taking a risk with your spider.

I use alder bark for *all* of my inverts' hides and climbs that I get out of my yard and much of it has live moss on it. I *always* wash the bark in hot water and bake it in the oven at 200 F. for about 20 minutes before putting it in the containers.

Also, know that, while the container looks good right now, unless it has access to natural sunlight, that live moss is going to turn white and eventually die, then it won't look so nice anymore.
I have a question about what you just said. Will moss only survive with natural sunlight? I know of many plants that will survive just fine with a light setup. I am no botanist so I am very much not in my realm of knowledge. Most moss that I have seen in the forest is under trees in very shaded areas that don't get much light. I'm sure there are many many kinds of moss and some probably need more light than others. I just wanted to throw that out there. Just to clarify the question again from my convoluted paragraph...

Will moss survive with a light setup designed to keep plants alive? I know many mosses require allot of moisture. I always thought that was the most important part, but again I barely know anything about plants. I have a yellow brown thumb if you get my meaning. :)

If moss is a good option, how would you clean it to make sure there aren't any nematodes or other bad things in it? I assume baking it at 200 degrees would kill the moss... ;) In The Naturals posts he talks about using "chloro" or something like that to wash the plants in. I have no idea what chloro is. All I could think of was clorox or chlorine?

Kenzie

wonderfvl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I noticed two white nematodes in the moss.
I could be wrong, but I believe nematodes are microscopic. You can see mites with the naked eye. But if these are a type of worm, then they're probably not nematodes.

Either way, if it were me, I'd get rid of all the substrate.

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If moss is a good option, how would you clean it to make sure there aren't any nematodes or other bad things in it? I assume baking it at 200 degrees would kill the moss... ;) In The Naturals posts he talks about using "chloro" or something like that to wash the plants in. I have no idea what chloro is. All I could think of was clorox or chlorine?

Kenzie
I think this is part of what I'm really wondering with the moss... anything that sounds like it may kill off the hitchhikers in the moss will probably be just as harmful to moss. The other part is do I really need to worry about killing them in the first place? I’m trying to find out if this is a type that I have to be concerned about.

I don’t believe that something that is all around us but pose no danger must be removed. I know I’d never be able to achieve a balanced situation but if we aren’t going for the totally sterile environment, we are going to see some other organisms. I, too have the plain peat moss, silk flower, piece of cork bark set ups that lots of us have. I know the tarantula does not care other than us coming close to the correct temp/humidity.

I want the moss to be relatively safe but remain healthy. A lot of the amphibian tanks at shows have it. Look at the European tanks; many of them have it. In comparison, our American tanks are so… artificial.

I am hoping for guidance from someone who has a bit more background on mosses and nematodes… not really a hobbyist like myself but someone who is really studying one or both of these groups or has experience with mosses in their tank and has dealt with this before.

They are not all microscopic... some roundworms can grow to many feet long! If they were all microscopic, we wouldn't see the problem nematotodes when they do attack our spiders. I know what I am seeing is a nematode by the characteristic shape and movement they make. They generally have smooth bodies and pointy ends. They tend to move with a wiggly s-shape.

I'm not worried about the substrate yet... all fresh peat as of last night. That is when I set up this tank and moved her ... then noticed the worm. And my spider, a Haplopelma lividum has a increased the pre-started burrow to the gravel layer that I put in so she is about 12" down already... I was surprised to see the pebbles at the entrance of the burrow.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a question about what you just said. Will moss only survive with natural sunlight? I know of many plants that will survive just fine with a light setup. I am no botanist so I am very much not in my realm of knowledge. Most moss that I have seen in the forest is under trees in very shaded areas that don't get much light. I'm sure there are many many kinds of moss and some probably need more light than others. I just wanted to throw that out there. Just to clarify the question again from my convoluted paragraph...

Will moss survive with a light setup designed to keep plants alive? I know many mosses require allot of moisture. I always thought that was the most important part, but again I barely know anything about plants. I have a yellow brown thumb if you get my meaning. :)

Kenzie
Moss tends to be very specific as to where it will grow. It may not need direct sunlight, but it is adapted to a certain level of intensity. The humidity, substrate, temperature, nutrients and airflow are all factors too.
Most of my attempts have failed, but then again I am more worried about what is going into the tank than pretty moss. The moss might grow, or it might not, depending on how well the conditions of where it was taken from are matched.

Usually the best moss to use is something from another terrarium, so the OP has at least some that will do well.

The "chloro" is probably referring to a dilute chlorine bleach solution, usually used in tissue propagation for surface sterilization. I don't remember the exact percentage, but anyone interested can probably look it up. I am not sure how moss will react to it though.
Baking the moss will kill it, it might still look alive and natural (for a while) but it won't ever grow.

As for the nematodes, they possibly could or could not harm the T. There are just too many species and variables, and the may even be larvae of something else (maybe some species of gnat even). I am willing to hazard a guess that nematodes from Pa will pose a minute risk to a healthy T, but if you are worried it is easier to ditch the moss sooner rather than later