Need some info on my T.BLONDI........

Trusnowryder

Arachnopeon
I purchased a 7 to 8" T.blondi about 2 or 3 months ago, and I heard that a stressed blondi will pace it's cage trying to get out. Since I have had her, she is always trying to climb up the sides of the tank, and hardly ever hides from me when I am in my room. I was wondering if this is normal, or if something is actually wrong with her? I also heard that T.blondi's hardly ever turn down a meal? Is this true? I feed her about 2 rat pups a week and she only eat's about half of it and that's it. I was hoping all you blondi experts out there could give me your info on how to keep a large blondi happy? One more thing.... Does anyone know if tarantulas can actully see red lights?
:confused:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Trusnowryder
I purchased a 7 to 8" T.blondi about 2 or 3 months ago, and I heard that a stressed blondi will pace it's cage trying to get out. Since I have had her, she is always trying to climb up the sides of the tank, and hardly ever hides from me when I am in my room. I was wondering if this is normal, or if something is actually wrong with her? I also heard that T.blondi's hardly ever turn down a meal? Is this true? I feed her about 2 rat pups a week and she only eat's about half of it and that's it. I was hoping all you blondi experts out there could give me your info on how to keep a large blondi happy? One more thing.... Does anyone know if tarantulas can actully see red lights?
:confused:
I think two rat pups a week is way too much.
You should also feed it crickets, super worns, roaches, and other bugs. I dont think Blondis eat a lot of vertibrates in the wild.
I bet if you slow down the feedings, you'll slow down the T.
Can you post a picture?
I've heard that T's can't see, or don't react to red lights.

Welcome to the group.:D

Ernie

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i don't know if the Ts can't see red light thing is a myth like it is with snakes. but here's the deal with reptiles:

snakes CAN see blue or red lights...especially if they aren't the special 'reptile night lights', b/c then they're just painted and of course that's just as bright.

the difference is that the light is greatly subdued by the special reptile lights and so it doesn't bother them.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What is her environment like? Pacing is often either due to the T trying to find somewhere nicer to live or trying to find a female to mate with. Are you sure she is female? Post a picture of the tank and tarantula if you can

Trusnowryder

Arachnopeon
I'll get some pics as soon as I can.

I also feed s/he crickets all the time too. When I first got it, s/he wouldn't eat crickets. But as soon as I stuck a rat pup in there it snatched it right up. I think it has actually only eaten one cricket since I have had it. One cool thing about it is that she is very calm and non-aggressive. I can reach in the tank and rub it's abdomen without it moving. (It's the coolest thing!) The only time it gets very aggressive is when I feed it hoppers. (fuzzy mice) If it's hungry it will actually chase it down and grab it, but if it's not, it must feel threatened because when the mouse get's close it flickes hairs and if it comes back again it will pounce on it, kill it, and leave it alone. It's so cool to watch! Everyone should have one!!!
I have been doing a ton of research on the net about adult T.blondi's, and through all the pics I have seen of adults, It seems to me all the females are much heavier than the males. (But I could be wrong) So I am starting to think that mine is actully a male.
I just recently started using the red lights and It seems to me with my 2 other T's (Hysterocrates sp.), that they are not bothered by them at all. And you can watch thier nocturnal behavior very well with them too.
Another Question? Does anyone know if any of the Hysterocrates species can live together?

Because the two 3 inchers I just recently aquired are in the same tank but with a divider in the middle. And the reason I ask is because they are great climbers and are always going over the divider and into each sides. I spend quite alot of time watching and observing my T's, and I have never once seen them fight or even show aggression towards one another. Do you think it could be because they are the same species? And about what size is it good to introduce pinkies?

Thanks for all the input
:D

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with MrT - don't get the idea that pinkies/fuzzies make a good, steady diet. They are alright for rare occassions if you simply want to entertain yourself (sick, but lots of peeps do it). Frankly, it's best for both the T and your wallet to stick with other inverts like crickets, superworms, etc. While young mice/rats make for a decent variety, they don't contain quite the same nutritional values that Ts have come to adapt to in the wild.

If you are looking for variety, though, you may also pursue anoles or small house geckos. Anoles tend to be expensive ($5-$7 each) but you can find them almost anywhere - house geckos shouldn't cost ya more than a couple bucks most places. Some species (especially arboreals) are fond of them, but again, only in moderation.

Quite simply: crickets are ideal because they are very cheap and very healthy for Ts to eat.

LCDXX

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Does she want to burrow? I have discovered that if I put and new T into an enclosure with perfectly flat substrate, it kinda bugs them. I've taken up the habit of molding the substrate into little hills and valleys and making a kind of "starter" burrow. Since I've ben doing this, my slings, juvs AND adults seem to settle in a little better.... but it could jest be my imagination!!!:confused:

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
T. blondi needs water like cars need gasoline. Without water, they may try to go in search of water. Food does not substitute for water. Mine drinks water like a drunk drinking alcohol. Never stops.