Need some cage setup help...Dolomedes..

Arachnotized

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well finally moved to arkansas and what a drive from Connecticut!! Just some quick info on how I obtained this spider..I moved to a house that is in the woods. The house hadn't been lived in for almost a year and you can imagine my amazement when me and the real estate man opened the door! Spiders everywhere!!! I never saw insects or spiders in my entire life as the ones I saw when we opened that door! Huge house spiders took up residence in every single corner inluding in and around the furniture that was left. They kept the house in check by killing and eating what he defined as "cave" crickets..these things were huge..one I measured at almost two inches body length!! I happily released each and every spider (that I could find)outside :)...Anyway to make a long story short..second night in the house and I go to get up out of bed and to my horror/amazement saw this spider running along my wall at a unimaginable rate of speed! It would not have been so bad had it not been almost two inches with legs LOL...well needless to say..I just had to have it! So I caught it and he is now living in a plastic beanie baby cube with some twigs to climb on and a plastic window shade bracket to hide in..he never goes in it..I put water in there some crickets and he devoured them. He already molted!

Now my question is..what can I fix him in and with what to keep him/her happy? It seems to love clinging to the top side of the cube under the saran wrap I used to cover it with (yes I punched holes in it for air;) )...and he seems content but I know he needs more room..maybe a 5 gallon tank witha lid? What would I use for substrate? Thanks for all the help!!:worship:

Johnnyster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You should've saved all the spiders and sent them to me,,...LOL

I just received a beautiful D. Tenebrosus and I set it up as recommended here. Being a semi aquatic species, I bought an octagon shaped 5 gallon aquarium and modified the lid with metal screening, put the soft substrate that expands when you water it, a small water bowl, a small plant that wont grow much from Target, a piece of tree bark leaning from the side towards the water bowl where it seems to be very happy. I also put a floating cork in the water so prey wont drown.

Absolutely a gorgeous spider.

Arachnotized

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well thanks!!! Yeah ...I was stunned at all the spiders...good thing my friend who is arachnophobic wasn't here with me {D ...Gonna go pick up the stuff today..cant wait..I am going to try and get some pics of him too LOL...hes great and super fast!:eek: {D

Arachnotized

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Heres a couple pics of him..not the best but at least you can see him ..and with his dinner lol...

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like a Dolomedes. I have had good luck keeping these in a 32 oz deli cup with a mesh lid and about 1" of damp substrate at the bottom. I place a slab of bark in at an angle which the Dolomedes like to perch on in addition to the top of the lid.

They can be skittish and are fast. I have not been bitten by one even though they have run up onto me a number of times.

Arachnotized

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL..yeah he's skittish alright...and man can he run!!! I am secretly hoping he doesnt decide to run up my arm lolz..but if he does I promise to close my eyes and pretend he's not there hehe...but all in all..I did fix him nice little set up out of the beanie baby cube and he seems quite happy...I wonder how big he will actually get? :?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the Dolomedes teneborsus we get here. They reach 4" legspan.

LOL..yeah he's skittish alright...and man can he run!!! I am secretly hoping he doesnt decide to run up my arm lolz..but if he does I promise to close my eyes and pretend he's not there hehe...but all in all..I did fix him nice little set up out of the beanie baby cube and he seems quite happy...I wonder how big he will actually get? :?