Need some advice on my Goliath Birdeater

arualno1

Arachnopeon
Three days ago I found my Goliath Birdeater (female) in what I thought was the death curl. I looked up some advice and gave some water and checked the humidity and temperature. All seemed alright and I hoped for the best. Later that day she had turned onto her back so I wondered if she was going to molt. Two days have passed and she is still in the same position upside down with no signs of molting. I assumed she was dead and went to remove her. She started moving her legs and flipped back up right. She isn't moving or reacting to any touch. I am guessing she is dying is there anything else I can try to do to save her or is it just a matter of time. Any advise would be great thank you

Attachments

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
Three days ago I found my Goliath Birdeater (female) in what I thought was the death curl. I looked up some advice and gave some water and checked the humidity and temperature. All seemed alright and I hoped for the best. Later that day she had turned onto her back so I wondered if she was going to molt. Two days have passed and she is still in the same position upside down with no signs of molting. I assumed she was dead and went to remove her. She started moving her legs and flipped back up right. She isn't moving or reacting to any touch. I am guessing she is dying is there anything else I can try to do to save her or is it just a matter of time. Any advise would be great thank you
Vid doesn’t work

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That’s a tough one, I always add a bit of water on around the mouth as a just in case

fcat

Arachnolord
Arachnosupporter
Can you post better pictures of her abdomen?

Did you actually watch her flip over? If not then I would think she fell.

And that substrate is not appropriate, it is sharp and could perforate her abdomen.

If she were molting, and got cut, she would bleed out and may not have the pressure to molt

They don't have muscles to extend their legs, it's all pressure driven, she's lost some fluid volume one way or another.

You should easily be able to get her mouth parts over a water dish.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Either a fall or those wood chips caused the injury.
Too abrasive or sharp..
Probably the worst cage I’ve seen , no t would survive especially a moisture dependent species . It could simply just died from no water dish.

Last edited:

TalyonUngol

Arachnosquire
I dont have much experience, but from what I see.... Theres not enough substrate, its woodchips which is sharp even to humans and would easily hurt her if she fell. It also looks really dry in there and that isn't good. They dont need swampy but moist soil is really good.

Im not super experienced yet, and I do plan on getting my bird eater sling next week, but im just saying it from my side is all.

Also its pretty barren in there.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Geez..,if this was(it’s dying if not dead already),a Theraphosa species,that’s one unsuitable enclosure.
And are you using garden mulch?.
No water dish or substrate moisture?.
Please,research and gain some knowledge before proceeding with T keeping.
This makes me cringe.
I’m not into criticism,but this is over the top.

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
You can still save her, please change her enclosure to be more suitable for her species!!

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
All Good Advice previously stated.
Don't be Disheartened, just do Your Best.
Hope it Helps.
And Welcome to the Community.

NocturnalSkies

Arachnosquire
Her abdomen looks strange, I 2nd what others are saying here and think she’s injured. Looks like she’s behaving like when an invert gets partially squished but not enough and still squirms around a bit.
Too dry, substrate is bad never give a tarantula wood chips(tbh never give almost anything wood chips). Try again next time with softer substrate, keep it more moist and give it deeper substrate too so it can burrow and make a home. I think I recognize the cage you’re using, it’s one of those Zoomed long short plastic ones with the locking black lid right? Those are great enclosures IMO for small arid snakes, arid scorps, beetles etc but not for anything that needs high humidity. They have too much ventilation. Might be better to cut your losses on this one, learn from mistakes and try to do better next time.

TalyonUngol

Arachnosquire
This is a question about the Goliath. Isn't good ventilation a good thing?

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Goliath.Means nothing in terms of care.
Unless the genus/species is presented it is a very useless term.It’s like the term “red-knee”,red leg”,red rump”.
From your pics and video it looked to me like a Theraphosa stirmi.
Ventilation is important for any T regardless of genus.

TalyonUngol

Arachnosquire
Goliath.Means nothing in terms of care.
Unless the genus/species is presented it is a very useless term.It’s like the term “red-knee”,red leg”,red rump”.
From your pics and video it looked to me like a Theraphosa stirmi.
Ventilation is important for any T regardless of genus.
Im not the OP. I am talking about the Goliath T's Sturmi, Apop and Blondi. The guy above said too much ventilation and that struck me wrong is all

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
yes it’s good ! But ventilation had little effect on this situation.
If the owner would have just made a post here or did some research anywhere about tarantulas you can’t use abrasive substrate .. mulch is like housing a soft bodied animal on a bed of spikes .
If it’s still alive?? Did you switch the substrate to something softer?

TalyonUngol

Arachnosquire
yes it’s good ! But ventilation had little effect on this situation.
If the owner would have just made a post here or did some research anywhere about tarantulas you can’t use abrasive substrate .. mulch is like housing a soft bodied animal on a bed of spikes .

If it’s still alive?? Did you switch the substrate to something softer?
Oh yes I know! I only use top soil and sometimes mix in Excavator clay! Though the clay makes things very dry but I'll still use it as I try out what works for me. So far just straight top soil has worked wonderful for my Ceratogyrus Darlingi, Hysterocrates Gigas and my Pelinobius Murinus. Those 3 fossorials were given straight topsoil while me Ephebopus Uataman was given a mix of reptisoil and Excavator clay. I dont think the Uataman was able to really dig deep compared to the others.

Anyways. I just like top soil so far!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Im not the OP. I am talking about the Goliath T's Sturmi, Apop and Blondi. The guy above said too much ventilation and that struck me wrong is all
I understand your not the OP.My point is that if you come on here,and ask about a " Goliath Birdeater",people dont know what animal you are talking about .

And for Theraphosa species you asked about,the issue is establishing a balance of moisture and ventilation.Balancing the correct air flow,and proper moisuture is important.

Thats why they are considered advanced species of that genus.If you have to much moisture,and not enough air flow,you run into problems.
And if you have to much airflow, but not a suitable moisture level,you run into husbandry issues.

TalyonUngol

Arachnosquire
I understand your not the OP.My point is that if you come on here,and ask about a " Goliath Birdeater",people dont know what animal you are talking about .

And for Theraphosa species you asked about,the issue is establishing a balance of moisture and ventilation.Balancing the correct air flow,and proper moisuture is important.

Thats why they are considered advanced species of that genus.If you have to much moisture,and not enough air flow,you run into problems.
And if you have to much airflow, but not a suitable moisture level,you run into husbandry issues.
Ah I see. Well. Wish me luck then since I'll be getting one soon if things work out with my breeder. Guess I'll need to do a bit more research on this balance.