need quick tips and resources...

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been wanting to get into the pedes but have been holding off, due to lack of any true knowledge of them. I just got an offer of a 6" Scalopendra subspinines and I want to take it home. Can anyone give me any immediately pertinent info - before I buy? I have been keeping T's for a few years and have a great collection but understand that pedes are a whole different ballgame...:eek: Maybe someone knows where to look for reliable general info on these very cool critters, and I could start from there?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been wanting to get into the pedes but have been holding off, due to lack of any true knowledge of them. I just got an offer of a 6" Scalopendra subspinines and I want to take it home. Can anyone give me any immediately pertinent info - before I buy? I have been keeping T's for a few years and have a great collection but understand that pedes are a whole different ballgame...:eek: Maybe someone knows where to look for reliable general info on these very cool critters, and I could start from there?
i made a little caresheet for subspinipes. the taxonomy part sucks... but the care part is ok

http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/centis/S_subspinipes_x.html

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks a bunch!

I read the whole caresheet and thanks for the pointers. I am now smarter than I was before - and I feel like I know less...:( Maybe I should hold off on this purchase? I don't want to kill it with ignorance..or do something colossally stupid and get someone hurt, either. How long do they live? How can I tell if it's male or female? or GRAVID? OMG :eek:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read the whole caresheet and thanks for the pointers. I am now smarter than I was before - and I feel like I know less...:( Maybe I should hold off on this purchase? I don't want to kill it with ignorance..or do something colossally stupid and get someone hurt, either. How long do they live? How can I tell if it's male or female? or GRAVID? OMG :eek:
well... provided you have experience with other very quick and fairly venomous inverts (something like Poecilotheria, or the other OW arboreals) you probably aren't biting off more than you can chew

one thing to consider though, as you seem like a somewhat sensitive person... it seems like possibly a disproportionate amount of the common WC S. subspinipes die for no readily apparent reason. i personaly think they get damaged somehow in transit from there to here. so, it is possible you could buy the centipede, get attached to it, then have it croak on you... through no failing on your part.

the big north american centipedes seem less prone do randomly dying... and are more resistant to dessicating... and are gorgeous. look up Scolopendra heros. big, beautiful, and tough... and possibly not *quite* as bad a bite as the common subspinipes.

waiting a week or two and learning and thinking more is never going to hurt anything. think of more q's and ask away :)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I sure appreciate the encouragement! I do have several different species of fast and tempermental "owie" T's...hehe They're like pretty little potato chips - you can't stop at just one. LMAO They all have names, once sexed; until then they're all just "little dudes". :eek:
I haven't been able to find any sources of information for BEGINNERS regarding the pedes, though.... This board is so full of advanced info and advice, that I frequently feel dumb asking for the basics... Where do I find out about the taxonomy and habits in general (so I can actually glean useful tips from the pros here at AB)? :?
Thanks for the patience. I'll catch up sooner or later! lol

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I sure appreciate the encouragement! I do have several different species of fast and tempermental "owie" T's...hehe They're like pretty little potato chips - you can't stop at just one. LMAO They all have names, once sexed; until then they're all just "little dudes". :eek:
I haven't been able to find any sources of information for BEGINNERS regarding the pedes, though.... This board is so full of advanced info and advice, that I frequently feel dumb asking for the basics... Where do I find out about the taxonomy and habits in general (so I can actually glean useful tips from the pros here at AB)? :?
Thanks for the patience. I'll catch up sooner or later! lol
Here's a beginner's guide:

You can get it from amazon, ebay, bioquip, etc.
As stated, don't get discouraged if it dies. S.subspinipes doesn't seem to import well though it can take months for it to finally die.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
get yourself a Scolopendra heros castaniceps. prettier than subspinipes and get bigger too i think, well i know they get bigger than any subspinipes i have seen or even heard about lol. not to mention they are pretty much bullet proof as far as husbandry goes.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks a bunch, people...

I sure appreciate the time to post help..and the encouragement! :worship: I'll find the info and put it to good use... updates as they happen. I'm gonna take the pede and hope for the best - or at least a learning experience. (but you all KNEW that anyway, huh? lol) I'll also look into the heros...they're stunning!